Merari

When Merari saw her grandma wearing red, she knew she was dreaming. Grandma Minka had believed in modesty once married. There was no need to go around attracting suitors when you already had a husband.

'Merari Minka,' spoke her grandma in a rather regal voice. She sounded more like Merari's mother when she was trying to impress the king.

'Hi, Grandma, and goodbye. If I'm going to have a lucid dream, might as well—'

'I'm an old lady? Gross!' Grandma Minka's face crunched up in disgust.

'What did you expect? You have fourty grandchildren. You weren't about to be young,' Merari pointed out. 'Besides, you're dead in real life.'

'I'm not your grandma,' snapped Merari's grandmother. 'I am Sorita.'

'Wow, sounds like this would have been a crazy dream. Oh well.' Merari closed her eyes and tried to picture clouds and a unicorn, but when she opened her eyes, her grandma was still there. 'Dammit.'

'You certainly have imagination. That's why I picked you. Then again, I thought you might have a more flattering picture in mind. Try harder next time.' The spirit scowled at her old lady hands.

'To be honest, I always imagined you to be a... Can I insult you without being smited?'

'No.'

'I think you're lying but I'm rather attached to, you know, life, so I'm not going to risk it.'

Sorita chuckled. 'So much potential to be such an overwhelming personality... I look forward to seeing your journey, Merari Minka.'

'So, do I wake up and tell the Chèr or what? What if he doesn't believe me?'

'Don't tell the Chèr,' growled Sorita.

'Why not? Isn't that what we're meant to be doing?' Merari raised an unimpressed eyebrow.

'If it were up to me, I wouldn't have claimed you. But as it is, the Primracon has put extra pressure on everyone else and Gadeden, Toutelé and Ellux were being annoying.'

'The Prima-what now?'

'The spirits are more closely tied to their Eseterrians. It has... pushed me slightly. I hate to be pushed around,' whined Grandma Minka.

'Good for you. But why shouldn't I say anything?'

'You saw what happened to the last Eseterrians and you claim to be attached to your life,' said Sorita.

'Yeah, but I doubt that'll happen again. Have you seen the guard tryouts? I wouldn't mind them accompanying me everywhere. Besides, I'd rather get fancier dresses and the chance to dance with more cute guys.'

'You have a valid point, but I am a spirit so you'd better not tell anyone. Cines is in danger and quite frankly, I'm actually happy with how things are for once,' said Sorita, 'It's pretty fun to watch.'

'I'm glad you enjoy our suffering.'

'And I'm glad you're glad,' mocked Grandma Minka, 'Now, I need to go bug Ellux, but remember what I said. If you tell anyone, I'll make Codrus Bennet fall in love with you.'

'Gross.'

'Exactly. Next time make me hotter.'

'Whatever you say, grandma.'

The dream ended and Merari woke up. It was still dark and cold. Then again, it was practically always cold in Cines. Merari wasn't really one for cold climates.

She didn't understand what Sorita had said, but she didn't doubt it had been the spirit. As much as Merari wanted to share it, there'd been a certain desperation in Sorita's tone, so she'd lay low. For now, at least.