xi. her

the rest of the school day went by in a blur of muddled thoughts for togami. he assumed the note was from naegi, so he was looking forward to seeing him on the rooftop after class ended, but naegi hadn't so much as offered a glance in togami's direction since that morning. the petite boy spent the day with his head buried in his arms, barely moving. when he lifted his head, once in a rare while, his usually bright eyes were hollow and empty underneath.

when the end of the day finally arrived, togami didn't bother cleaning up the classroom with the rest of his classmates and went directly to the rooftop. as soon as he opened the door, a cold breeze pricked his cheeks as a reminder that winter was on its way. togami sighed, sitting down on a bench nearby. naegi will be up soon, he told himself. i just need to wait a moment. with that thought in his mind, togami pulled out his book and started to read, getting lost in the pages until he could make out a pair of shoes clicking up the stairs. togami stood, snapping his book shut and tucking it away in his bag. he pushed up his glasses. "naegi, i can explain," he began. "i—"

a stinging sensation spread across togami's cheek as he stumbled back in shock. his hand flew to his face, covering the red hand-shaped mark that was forming. togami snapped his head up to see the person who had slapped him, expecting naegi's face when he was met with someone he had dreaded running into.

maizono. she had slapped him across the face. hard.

          "maizono, what is the meaning of this?!" togami spat, stumbling back.

          maizono was absolutely enraged. "you stole him from me! you stupid thing, you stole him!"

           togami scoffed. "it's not my fault you're so bland. maybe if you had a dash of personality, naegi might tolerate being around you."

          maizono's face went red. "you're gonna regret that, togami, i'll—"

           "you'll what?" togami smirked. "you can't touch me. my reputation is already in the gutter. you can't hurt someone with nothing to lose."

            "you little—"

            "stop it!" a hoarse voice broke the heated discussion between togami and maizono. both students turned, looking to see naegi standing at the doorway to the roof. "what the hell is going on here?"

          maizono's eyes went wide. "n—naegi, i can explain—"

          "i don't want your stupid explanation, maizono! you're being so immature, it's disgusting!" naegi was angry, togami suddenly realized. he never used insults on anybody if he didn't truly despise that person. "and you, togami," naegi continued to speak as he stormed across the roof to togami. he shoved the poem togami had written into togami's chest, the paper crinkled and tear-stained. "care to explain this? what the hell?! you knew i was dating... her. and you went and wrote this? you caused this!"

          togami blinked. "that wasn't me!" he spat. "i would never do something so foolish as to proclaim my love for someone in writing. it's stupid."

          "you're such a liar!" naegi shouted. "the handwriting matches! i would never date you if it meant i died! you..." naegi wiped tears from his cheeks. "you pervert! leave me alone! both of you!" a sob slipped from naegi's lips and he turned, running down the stairs and out of sight.

          togami blinked. there was a moment of stunned, tense silence between himself and maizono.

          "he's right," maizono spat, her voice a venomous whisper. "you caused this." maizono turned and ran after naegi, leaving togami alone on the rooftop with thoughts whirling around his head.

          my fault?

          how could this be my fault?

          she broke his heart.

          she's the one who is to blame for this.

          it's her.

          togami walked to the railing, looking over the roof. the students walking out of school looked like little ants. one stomp, and they would all be crushed. one gust of wind and their entire hill could fall. they weren't like him. he was strong. he could stand his ground. two student, bursting from the building in a yelling match, caught togami's attention. one grabbed the other's arm, forcing them into a kiss. the  poor little soul pushed the first away, running out further.

          a crowd was gathering around the two. the second one pushed through, heading in the direction of the suburban neighborhood down the road. togami's hands, gripped so tight around the railing that his knuckles were white, were sweating. it was naegi and maizono.

           togami pushed away from the railing and ran down the stairs, out the front doors of the school. "naegi!" he yelled, using the full force of his voice. naegi stopped, turning to see who had called his name. "naegi!" togami called again, running toward him. naegi had tears in his eyes.

          "togami, i—"

           togami had finally reached him. he stopped a few steps in front of naegi to catch his breath, but was surprised when he felt a warm body pressing against his own.

          "togami, i— i'm so sorry," naegi sobbed. his arms were wrapped around togami's neck and his head was resting on togami's chest. "i'm so sorry, i didn't think the note was from you, maizono told me it was, and i'm so sorry i've been rude—" naegi broke down into a sobbing mess as togami wrapped his own around around naegi's back, holding him up.

          "it's okay."

a/n: hey guys!! thank you for #2 on the byakuyatogami tag! the face i made when i checked the stats this morning and saw that, woah- love you guys!! <3