xv. closer

naegi nodded, burying his face in togami's shoulder. the boy was still shaking uncontrollably, but it had noticeably settled down since togami found him. togami gently rested a hand on naegi's head, stroking his hair. he took notice as naegi's breathing slowed to a steady, softer pace over time and the shaking ceased. "naegi?" togami mumbled. naegi uttered no response. the boy's head was nodding, but the behavior seemed uncontrolled. togami repeated naegi's name as his head dropped, softly shaking his shoulder to no reply. naegi had drifted off to sleep, his body now completely limp.

togami gently lifted naegi's chin, curiosity getting the best of him. he'd encountered naegi unconscious before, but had never gotten the chance to examine his face this closely as he slept. naegi looked tired, togami noticed, gently tracing a finger along the dark circles underneath naegi's eyes and trailing down his cheek to his lips. togami felt his face heat up as thoughts of kissing those soft lips entered his mind. togami cupped naegi's face in his hands, smiling softly at the way his cheeks squished. his skin was so soft...

just a little closer, and their lips would touch...

just... a little closer... those eyelashes...

"mmh..." a soft groan lifted togami from his moment as naegi stirred. his eyelids fluttered and he stretched out slightly, eyes opening as togami gently placed his head back on his shoulder. naegi lifted his head back up, blinking in slight confusion and delirium. "huh..?" naegi rubbed his eyes, blinking repeatedly to try to get the sleep out. "togami?"

          "shh. you're okay." togami slowly lifted his hands away from naegi's cheeks, smiling down at him. "you must be tired."

          "yeah," naegi admitted, a bit surprised that togami knew so easily. "nightmares."

          "i have those as well," togami sighed. "nasty things." the two boys fell silent, staring at each other, before naegi broke his gaze and started fidgeting with his hands.

          "hey, togami?" naegi asked, his voice hoarse. "was it really you who wrote that letter?"

togami felt his cheeks heat up. he hesitated with stroking naegi's hair as naegi met his eyes. "i—"

"it's alright. i know." naegi smiled softly, breaking eye contact with togami once again. "i really liked it, by the way. your letter." the boy smiled up at togami, then glanced down at his watch. togami watched as his face changed from a soft, dream-like smile to a worried grimace. "ah. we should probably head back to class," naegi stammered.

togami nodded and began to stand up and walk out of the bathroom with naegi trailing behind. naegi jogged a few steps to keep up with togami, then briefly stole a glance at the other before stretching out his pinky finger so it wrapped around togami's. togami smiled to himself and took naegi's hand just before they re-entered the classroom. naegi looked up at togami as their fingers intertwined and the door opened. the two boys made their way to the back of the class, all eyes following their hands. as they sat down, the teacher glanced their direction and continued his lecture completely unbothered. maizono however, wasn't as nonchalant. she was staring at naegi's hand, still gripped by togami's. she was angry, and everybody knew it.

          naegi included.

naegi glanced up at togami, not letting go of his hand. the two boys sat close, their shoulders almost touching, for the rest of the class while maizono glared back at them. there was a spark between them. the soft smiles and flustered glances when they made eye contact was more than enough to tell the class, especially kirigiri, that something had happened in the bathroom.

"miss maizono. would you keep your eyes at the front of the classroom?" the teacher asked, clearly irritated. maizono nodded, apologizing, her hands balled up in fists. her knuckles were white. togami couldn't help but notice naegi's grip on his hand loosening when he glanced at maizono. it stung slightly. togami gently squeezed naegi's hand, to which naegi squeezed back. the little smile that spread across his face was worth it. togami allowed his features to soften for a moment as he stared at naegi. the lucky student's eyes were fixed on the board, and his brow was furrowed in concentration.

          as naegi's eyes flicked toward togami, he averted his gaze. naegi smiled, looking away as his cheeks reddened. his hands were so nice and warm...

as the bell rang and students stood up from their seats, togami included, class was done. maizono's eyes remained on the pair of boys seated in the back as their fingers slipped away from each other. naegi stared off after togami as he left the classroom, then snapped out of whatever trance-like state he was in and rushed after him.

maizono decided to follow, enoshima and asahina close behind her. the three girls stood in the doorway as naegi called togami's name. kirigiri trailed behind.

"togami!" naegi called, grabbing the taller boy's arm. togami turned back in surprise, slightly alarmed, but blushed as usual at the sight of the boy before him. naegi offered a soft smile, then whispered "thank you."

all of a sudden, togami was bent over.

naegi's hands on his cheeks. his eyes closed.

their lips smashed together in a clumsily passionate kiss.

a/n: hey everyone!! sorry again for the late chapter. i've been figuring some stuff out and i've been busy performing. i'll try and get another chapter out soon!! <3