xxiii. out

togami was stunned for a moment. naegi's words echoed in his mind over and over.

"i love you."

togami held naegi's hands, noticing how weak he appeared. "oh, naegi..." he whispered. "i love you too. i love you so much." togami took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. "i have loved you since the day we met and i will love you until the day i die. i love you."

          togami watched as naegi's face melted into a sweet, passionate smile. "i wish i could kiss you right now," he mumbled. "but i'm probably really gross." naegi laughed, holding onto togami's hand. he watched as togami laughed and shook his head, leaning in and wrapping naegi in a hug as he kissed him. nothing was going to part them this time. togami deepened the kiss, having been craving this for a long time. naegi sighed into togami, simply happy to be with him. the kiss lingered for a while, leaving naegi with a soft smile as he slumped back into the bed. "i missed you so much..."

          "could you hear me while you were sleeping?" togami questioned. his cheeks reddened, not wanting naegi to know how close he was to confessing his love.

          naegi nodded. "you came and talked to me every day. and every day i heard your voice and i just wanted to open my eyes and kiss you. but i couldn't move, and you sounded so far away." naegi shuddered. "i hate being sedated." the boy was still delirious from the days of being unconscious. "i just want to sleep. i still don't feel very awake."

"i hated it too," togami admitted in a soft whisper. he watched naegi settle into bed and smile at togami. "what?" togami stammered.

          "you're really cute," naegi whispered. the boy sat up, a look of concern crossing his face. "have you been crying?" he whispered, tracing a finger across togami's cheek. "your eyes are all puffy." naegi flattened his palm against togami's cheek, caressing his face.

"i— no—" togami was about to defend himself when naegi's family burst into the room. his parents and little sister stopped in their tracks, their eyes glued to naegi's hand. naegi's hand dropped. "hi..." he whispered, eyes wide with fear and guilt.

          "makoto..." naegi's mother was stunned.

          tears welled up in naegi's eyes. "m-mom..." he breathed. "i—"

          naegi's mother cut him off with a soft hug. naegi broke down sobbing. togami took a step back, surprised by the support naegi had from his mother. "mom, i—" naegi sobbed as his mother gently shushed him.

          "i know, baby. i've known for a while now." naegi's mother's words were so gentle. togami never had that in his childhood. he watched naegi cry, his heart wrenching at the sight of his love upset. he watched naegi's mother stroke his hair, watched naegi's hands clutch at his mother's cardigan. they really love each other, togami thought, watching as komaru and naegi's father joined the hug. togami was about to turn and leave when he heard a soft voice.

          "byakuya?" it was naegi. "come over here." togami hesitated before making his way over to the happy family, wrapping his arms around naegi. "i love you," the smaller boy breathed.

          after naegi woke up, he was able to go back home. togami rode in the car with the naegi's, seated on the far left while naegi was in the middle. komaru was on the far right. naegi stayed quiet for most of the ride, his head bobbing up and down as his eyes struggled to stay open until he fell asleep about halfway through, his head landing on togami's shoulder. he was still sleeping off the sedatives from his hospital stay. naegi's mother glanced at the couple in the mirror, smiling as komaru poked the sleeping boy's face.

          "so, togami. how long have you and makoto been dating?" naegi's father asked in a low tone of voice now that naegi couldn't hear. he didn't want to wake naegi, a gentle smile playing his eyes. "he talks about you over dinner all the time." he has his father's eyes, togami realized with a smile, taking note of the beautiful green color and optimistic glow.

          "we haven't made it official yet," togami admitted, returning the low tone of voice. "i want to ask him somewhere special to both of us." togami smiled, wrapping an arm around naegi's shoulders and pulling him closer. i cant believe i'm doing this. my father would be furious if i told anyone about a relationship i was forbidden to have. but... i don't think i care. i love naegi. i love makoto. togami smiled to himself, looking down at naegi's head on his shoulder. makoto fits you better.

          "togami, if you want to stay the night to keep an eye on makoto that's fine with us. just keep the door open a couple inches," naegi's mother winked. she gazed at naegi, still dead asleep on togami's shoulder. "he really likes you," she said, a sweet tone to her voice. "i've never heard him talk about someone like he talks about you."

          togami smiled, gently playing with naegi's hair. god, i love him.

          togami ended up taking up the naegis offer to spend the night. he tried waking up naegi after the car ride, but only succeeded in getting him to open his eyes and try to walk. he was still mostly asleep as he climbed the stairs with togami's help and flopped down on his bed. "byakuya?" naegi mumbled, head buried in pillows. "come cuddle with me. i'm cold."

          "coming, darling."

a/n: some fluff today because i'm in a good mood and you guys should be too <3 i love you all!!