Falling In Love

AMARI ¤ POV

"P-Papa?"

The timid, barely audible stutter made me grip the laddle in my hand and turn around towards the sweet, hesitant voice. Elliot.

My adopted son stood a few metres away, a bashful blush on his cheeks, his eyebrows furrowed in what could not be described as a defensive expression. The shirt he wore hung awkwardly around his skinny shoulders, his shorts sagging on his hips.

The sight of him made my chest thump erratically to the sound of my heartbreak. Just looking at his matted, bright blonde hair and dull green eyes had me tensing with sorrow for him and a desperate need to make it all better bloomed within me. My insitics as a father were pinging like alarm bells all around my head. Protect. Make him happy. Save him. Luka and I were tying our best.

"Hey Elliot," I spoke softly, my posture open and non-threatening, my expression neutral despite the urge I had to cry. It wouldn't do him any good to see how much I worried about him. "What do you need from me?"

Elliot paused, his eyes darting around, searching for escape routes. They landed on the open back doors that lead out onto the pack lands, the open windows filtering the smell of the dinner I'd been cooking and the doors leading back towards the inner corridors of the house. I gave him time to sort through his thoughts and work through his fears. Patience. It's what he and I both needed.

"I-I want-" he trailed off, fisting his shirt in his boney fists, his pale fingers pink from the effort. "I want-" He trailed off again, seeming to loose his courage and I watched the tirade of emotions flash across his dainty face. Frustration, fear, longing... tears.

"It's okay," I cooed from afar, wanting to hold him but knowing that it was best to let him work through it or risk spooking him off. He had called me papa, he was asking for something he wanted. This was progress, this was good, this was everything Luka and I had been working towards. "Anything, baby."

He took a few deep breaths, struggling through his tears. "I-I'm tired," he finally cried and I nodded, my heart still pounding away. I sensed movement behind Elliot and saw Luka lurking out in the corridor. He watched from afar, but didn't move to interfere.

"You're tired, Elliot? That's okay. You can go to sleep if you want to," I turned my attention back to a still crying Elliot who hadn't moved any closer. Although it was unusual for a thirteen year old boy to tell me such a thing, it wasn't odd at all coming from a previously abused pup. We were trying to break his habit of asking for permission for mundane things like sleeping, eating and using the bathroom, but progress was slow.

Elliot shook his head and finally took a step towards me. His footsteps were light, hesitant, as though he was terrified of making any noise. He preferred to tip toe around the house, unlike his thundering brothers and sisters. He opened his little pink mouth and tried to communicate again. "I w-want-" he trailed off again, motioning with his hand. I tilted my head, mimicking the movement. It was like rubbing or caressing something.

Hope bloomed in my chest. Was he... was he asking for affection? Did he need help getting to sleep? He was coming to me for help. Fuck. I slowly moved closer, and eventually, we stopped in front of one another. Elliot looked up with teary, desperate green eyes and I gave him a reassuring smile before reaching out and gently caressing the hair on top of his head. The sigh of relief he let out was music to my ears.

I gave him my full attention, using my body language to convey love and safety and comfort to my pup as I stroked his hair and caressed his pink cheeks. I kissed his forehead, his button nose, his cheeks and chin. I wiped away his tears and murmured praising words over and over until he began to sway on his feet. But instead of pulling away, he pushed his body closer to me. I took a risk and slowly wrapped my arms around him, holding him more steadily against my body as I continued showering him in affection. I didn't lift him, knowing he wasn't ready for that just yet.

Instead, I walked the sleepy pup over to one of the loveseats in the corner of the kitchen, glancing over my shoulder for Luka. He was behind me in an instant, a blanket in his arms and I smiling gratefully. Together, we worked to wrap Elliot up and settle him on the small couch as he drifted off to sleep. He curled up, dozing away against the pillows. Luka bent and pressed a kiss to his forehead before stepping back and I repeated the process.

We stepped back and stared at our handy work before turning towards each other with the biggest grins of accomplishment. I threw myself at Luka, trying to contain my overflowing emotions. I was torn between sobbing and laughing in disbelief. Elliot was opening up to us, Elliot was finally letting us know that he needed us.

Luka caught me in his big arms, holding me close. "You did amazing," he muttered against my ear and I squeezed him back, letting out a shaky sigh. I tried my best, but it was all Elliot. I kissed Luka softly and he smiled against my lips before letting me down.

"He should be out for a while, I'll keep the others away from the kitchen while you finish up dinner in here," he suggested and I nodded, squeezing his hand, about to turn back towards the stove. A little shadow by the open door caught my attention. Mika stood there silently, looking between Luka and I and Elliot. He was all twinkling big blue eyes and unruly dark curls. So stunning.

"Me next, daddy," he signed, before thrusting his arms out at Luka determinedly for a cuddle. Luka chuckled quietly and I smiled too as I watched Luka pick up the pup and carry him away, leaving Elliot and I in the quiet kitchen alone.

This was a milestone on our journey of rehabilitating Elliot and having him comfortable in our home. It was an evening, I'd never forget. Humming happily, I turned back to the pot of dumpling soup over the stove only to catch a small, tanned hand grab a freshly baked roll off the countertop. I smacked the hand lightly with my laddle and Kuma let out a squeak, dropping the roll.

"Get out, you sneaky minx, before I make you wash the dishes."

I should've known he wouldn't be far away from Mika. Kuma grumbled and I laughed as quietly as I could as I watched him scamper away. I loved being a father.

°•○●☆●○•°