Demons in the Darkness

LUKA ¤ POV

I pretended not to see the hovering teen trying his best to go unnoticed as he peered at me around the bedroom door. His blonde hair was ruffled from sleep, his green eyes wide and shifty.

Elliot seemed to war with himself as he squirmed on his bare feet, his oversized pyjamas hanging off his slim frame. He peeked around the door once more and I bent to pick up one of the pup's toys off the ground before someone tripped and broke their neck.

Amari was in the bathroom with Kori and Kamri, giving them a wash before we started the day. The two youngest seemed to get grubby fast and it was a constant war throughout the day to get them clean and presentable again.

The rest of the apartment was beginning to fill up with noise as my pups began waking up in their rooms, arguing with one another and playing loudly. Just an average morning for our huge family of ten.

My thoughts returned to Elliot. He was most likely looking for some affection and was shy about asking. I'd over heard him talking to Rosie a few days ago about being embarrassed. He was sixteen years old and still needed close affectionate care from his parents.

Yet it wasn't strange for a previously abused child to search for comfort at all, especially when he needed it. We all loved him and if laying with him for a while helped with his healing then so be it. I would never deny him that comfort. I was waiting for him to come to me however, before I pushed and prompted him to speak up about what was on his mind. The last thing I wanted to do was scare him away.

When I looked up, Elliot and I met eyes. I gave him a reassuring smile accompanied with a friendly wink. The worry on his face eased a little and he finally took a timid step towards me. However, he acted a few seconds too late.

"DADDY! MIKA WET THE BED!" Lumai came barreling past him, storming right up to me and jumping in my lap with a huff. Five more pairs of little feet pattered along the wooden floors and the room was suddenly full of noisy pups trying to get my attention.

Mika was in tears at his sister's bold announcement to the room. Kuma was unsuccessfully trying to console him by patting his brother on the head. Rumi and Ari were squabbling over some sort of stuffed toy and Lili had climbed into Amari and I's bed with a groan, announcing she was going back to sleep. My daughter yanked the bed sheets over her head and started making obnoxious snoring sounds as she disappeared. 

By the time I looked back up towards the door, Elliot was gone. I inwardly cursed. I'd have to find him later and ask what was on his mind. But right now, I looked around at my other, younger kids. I had to get them ready for school.

"Mika, papa's in the bathroom, go and have a wash please. Lumai, be more considerate of your brother next time when you tell me things. You wouldn't like it if I told everyone you wet the bed either. Take Ari and Lili and get dressed please. Rumi and Kuma, let's start making packed lunch. Get to it."

They all groaned, aside from Mika who was still sobbing and sniffling g, even as I hugged him and patted his back. My poor baby was way too sensitive for his own good but I only loved him even more for it. I knew that when the others grew up and got sick of their doting father, I'd always find my baby in Mika. "It's alright, hush sweetheart."

The pups began reluctantly leaving the bedroom one by one with ruffled curls and crinkled pyjamas. I quickly stripped Mika's wet pyjamas and chucked them on top of the overflowing washing basket in the corner of my bedroom. Then I kissed his pink cheek and lifted his naked body, carrying him into the bathroom.

Amari, who was just about to get out of the bath tub with baby Kori, took one look at Mika and sighed. We swapped kids without a word and I took Kori and Kamri out into the bedroom. I dressed a two month old Kori in a diaper and a onesie after creaming his flailing limbs and shaking baby powder between his legs. Once he was settled, I helped Kamri get changed into his clothes as well. The five year old was stil a little clumsy but he was slowly getting there.