Chapter 32: Video Games

June 9th, 1989

Your P.O.V

I bounce my feet in the car, disappointed that I'm almost home, since Henry has this weird obsession with me, but I have my friends that I want to hang out with. The first thing I'm going to do when I'm back is go to the arcade in the Aladdin theater. I figure it's a good chance that I'll see Richie, and I don't want to unpack right away.

I stare out the car window as the view transforms into Derry. The car passes by Mike's house, and I tell my parents to stop. "Please, just for a little while? I haven't been over to see him in ages."

They look at each other, and shrug. "I guess, but only for twenty minutes." Mom taps her watch and I look at mine. It's 4:15, so that means at 4:35 I have to leave. I unbuckle my seatbelt, and practically jump out of the car at light speed.

I cross the field to Mike's house, saying hello to the new sheep as I walk by. Now, I know that Mike's farm isn't as good as I thought it was when I was younger, but it could be worse. In any case, I just want to be around Mike, since we haven't talked in so long.

The sun is glaring outside, but I deal with the heat so I can see my best friend. At around 4:18 I get to his door and knock. Grandpa Leroy opens the door and I rush to give him a hug. "I'm sorry I haven't been over here in so long, I've been really busy, but I have twentyish minutes to talk, so where's Mike?"

Grandpa Leroy turns around and calls for Mike. "Your best friend is here!" I hear a door slamming open, and rapid footsteps running down the hall. Mike reaches the front door, picks me up and spins me around. His farm boy muscles make it seem easy.

Mike sets me down and I gently push away to face him. "I only have until like 4:40 so we gotta profit from these twenty minutes." I then pull him back into a hug because god, I missed him so much. The first thing I do after letting go of Mike is drag him over to the calendar he has hanging up in the kitchen. "Okay, so we need to plan a hang out, otherwise I'm probably going to forget again." I stare at the calendar, trying to find a good day to hang out. "How do the 16th and the 24th sound? I will make sure my family doesn't plan anything for those days."

"That should work, as you can see, there is nothing labeled on the calendar." While Mike finishes his sentence, I grab a pen and write 'playdate with my bestest friend ever' on those two dates. Childish, I know, but I am a child so you can't blame me. "Okay, that's done. What now?"

"Catch me up on what you did while I was gone." We walk to his room and just talk. He tells me about something he saw while he was doing a meat delivery to the butcher's shop.

"There were these, these burnt up hands were coming out from behind the door, and my parents were calling my name. It was like a nightmare, but it was real." I sit closer to him and give him a side hug. "Then the door opened and I heard a weird noise. Behind the plastic sheets protecting the meet, was a terrifying clown." I freeze up when he mentions a clown. It can't be the same one that's been tormenting me, can it? "I thought I was going to die, but ironically, Henry Bowers showed up after and it disappeared."

My watch beeps and I feel relieved, but also disappointed. I didn't want to talk about the clown, but I can't hang out with Mike for another week. I give him another hug and he walks me to my parents' car. They must have gone home  and unloaded most everything while I was inside. Because they're such nice parents, they left my things, meaning I still have to unpack the car before I go to the Aladdin.

I grab two out of the four bags I brought with me on the trip. My parents know I'll unpack later tonight so I'm just going to do two trips. I bring the two bags I have in my hands to my room, then speed walk back to the car. I get my other two bags and just set them in the coat closet so I can go to the Aladdin.