Chapter 16: Two hours of torture

January 14th, 1989

Your P.O.V

"Can't you pretend I'm sick? We can just do the thing another Saturday." I'm on my knees, begging for my mom to let me stay home today.

"I will not lie so that you don't have to do something you agreed to do."

"Please!"

"I said no." Mom's voice is firm, but not loud. "Now go to your room!"

I sulk off to my room, then sneak over to Beverly's house using our balconies. It's so much easier than the first time I tried it. The first time, I almost fell to my death, but Beverly caught me before I could fall. I knock on the window quietly, and it opens shortly after. I step inside, and Beverly is waiting for me.

"What's wrong now?" She asks.

"Why do you think something's wrong?"

She holds up one of her fingers. "One, that's usually the reason you come over, and two-" She holds up another finger. "-I heard a bit of yelling over at your house. So, what's the matter?"

I sit with her on the bed. "I have to go on a date with Addison today at two. And he's such a-" I lower my voice so her dad can't hear me. "-dick."

"Well, at least you aren't actually dating him."

"That's kind of what I'm worried about, if I actually start dating him, it might end up like last time."

"Last time?"

I respond too quickly. "It's nothing, I just got my feelings hurt last time I trusted a guy like that." I shrug, and lie down. Beverly lies down next to me, and hugs me.

"I can tell you're not telling me the whole truth." I start fidgeting nervously, and she notices that. "If you don't feel comfortable telling me, you don't have to."

I breath out a sigh of relief. "Thanks, but I shouldn't have brought it up." She holds me closer, and I can hear her heartbeat. My face feels hot, so I decide to change the subject. I stand up, and open the window. "Want to come to my room? I have a cassette player."

"Sure, just make sure you don't fall again."

I fold my arms, and fake pout. "That was only one time Beverly, and you caught me." She laughs, and I cross the balconies. Beverly crosses next, and falls like I did, but I catch her like she caught me. "What was that about being careful?"

"It's not my fault, I hardly ever cross the balconies."

"Maybe you should come to me when you have problems instead of taking them on by yourself." I say it in a teasing manner, but I'm also serious. She's told me some things that have happened, but I know it's not all of it, since I can hear what goes on in her house, especially when I'm in my room. It's not fun to hear, sometimes I get scared that something might happen to me. I can sort of imagine what that must be like, because of creepy ass shithead who ruined my life. (Ezekiel, in case you couldn't tell)

"I know, and you owe me lots of hugs, forehead kisses, and cuddles."

Did she just- "You're making it sound like we're dating." I quickly realize that sounds bad, so I try to fix it. "Not that I would ever date a girl." My heart pangs when I say that, but I don't want her to think I'm a freak.

She laughs, but it sounds a little uncomfortable. Probably just my imagination, because why would she be uncomfortable? She's told me she likes Bill, and hasn't said anything about liking girls. "Yeah, dating a girl would be weird." I didn't know I could feel so much pain. It's probably my fault though, I was the one who said something first.