Chapter 26: Happy Birthday

March 13th, 1989

After school has ended

Your P.O.V.

Today is my birthday, and an interesting fact about today is that my birthday is exactly one month away from Beverly's. She didn't tell me when her birthday was until way past hers, so the party I'm having is for me and her.

"Hey Beverly, do you want to go out today?" I ask, hoping that she will accept, so they can prepare the party in time.

She stares at me for a second, before answering. "I guess, but isn't it your birthday today?" I assume she's a little surprised that I want to go out with her on my birthday.

"Of course." You're literally my favorite person in the whole world. "Who better to spend my birthday with?" I grab her hand and pull her in for a hug.

Beverly seems embarrassed, because she's playing with her hair, and she stepped back a little. "Your boyfriend? I don't know." She mumbles a bit at the end.

"I lo-like him, sure, but you're one of my best friends. Besides, I spend a lot of time with him already." (Too much time if you ask me. I can't wait until Beverly is dating her.) I wave my arm, and roll my head, to show how much time I spend with Addison. Wanting to leave, I grab her arm and start taking her outside. Obviously, we put our shoes on before we leave.

Since I want Beverly to have fun, I let her choose the first place to go. She just wants to ride our bikes together for a couple of minutes. Once we do that for a while, I take her to that clearing in the woods I found.

The sun is in the middle of the sky, and it's a perfect day for a picnic that's also meant to stall someone. "Did I ever tell you that your hair is gorgeous? I mean, the way it compliments the rest of your face is just so alluring."

Beverly freezes for a few seconds, so I boop her nose. She blinks rapidly and shakes her head. "Oh, you really think that?" Her astonished look slowly morphs into a shy smile. "Shouldn't you save those types of comments for your boyfriend?"

"Hey, I call it like I see it. And I think that if you ever decided to cut your hair short, it would still look amazing." As I say this, my hand absentmindedly reaches towards her hair. When I realize what I'm doing, I quickly pull away. I see the way her face is contorted in disgust, and immediately feel bad. "Sorry, I shouldn't have done that."

She grabs my hand, pulls it closer to her face, and leans in. "I don't mind it, not if it's you." My heart starts racing as we move closer and closer. Our faces are almost touching when my alarm rings. "What's that for?"

I answer calmly. "It's an alarm for my actual time of birth." Inside my head though, I'm freaking out. Oh. My. God. I was so close to actually kissing Beverly Marsh. She's been my crush for ages. But I'm dating Addison, I can't cheat on him. That would make me a bad person, and Ez-. No Y/n, remember the techniques Dr. Smith taught you. Inhale good thoughts and exhale the bad ones. While I was thinking, Beverly must have started getting ready to leave. "We don't have to leave yet, we haven't even had our ham sandwiches yet."

Smiling, she sits back down on the picnic blanket. We grab our sandwiches and tap them together as if they were wine glasses and we were toasting to something.

The sun shines brightly in the middle of the sky, and slowly starts to move, as we sit there, talking about everything from the type of bread I used, to what crime we would commit if everything were legal. I know what I would do, but instead, I tell her that I'd probably rob a bookstore.

Several minutes later, my second alarm goes off. "That's the one that means we should pack up and head home." Both of us want to stay longer, so we reluctantly pack up the stuff. Since there is a lot of stuff, we both have to carry some. I get the picnic basket, and she gets the blanket. Linking our free hands together, we start walking home.