Chapter 7

October 15, 2020 

On my way to my maths class, I accidentally bumped into this new student. At least I thought she was new. Her papers and books went flying as her body thudded on the hard floor.

"Hi, I'm Riley," I said, offering to help her up. "What's your name?"

The girl adjusted her glasses. "I hope I didn't startle you," she said. "I'm so clumsy."

"No worries, dude," I said.

She looked up at me with a confused look on her face. "But I'm not - - -," she said.

"Oh, I'm very sorry. I'm just used to calling everybody terms like dude and man," I said. "I'd say it's sort of a habit." I laughed nervously.

The girl took my hand as I helped her gather her things. "I'm Brianna," she said. "But you can call me Bri."

I listened around to see if I could find a source of snickering, as the popular girls always did with me. "Say, Bri, why don't they laugh at you?"

"Why would they?" said Brianna. "I mean, they either ignore me or go straight to other targets."

"That's odd, because they usually target people like me and you," I said.

Brianna looked around Gillian. "I'm unfamiliar with the school here," she said. "I was hoping you could show me around. I mean, I don't wanna make you late or anything. I'm just saying, if you don't mind."

"Of course not! I'll just tell my maths teacher that I was just showing a new girl to her class," I said. "I mean, it's not wrong."

"Thank you, Riley," Brianna said.

I smiled. "No problem. What're friends for?"

So I walked her to her class when Jada, Ava, and Olivia showed up.

"Well, well, well. Look who it is," said Jada. "Seems you became a butch dyke."

"Leave me alone!" I said.

"You've always had the fight in you and I hate that," Jada said.

"I wanna know why you pushed Mia to her breaking point like that! How dare you treat her like she's just a motherfucking nobody?"

"You better watch your mouth or I'll tell my father we have a pottymouth in the school," Ava said. "And you wouldn't want that, now would you?"

"I'm not afraid of you," I said. "You've fucked  with me and you've fucked with my best friend's sister! Mia loved you, so she changed herself completely to try and impress you and this is how you treat her? Treat me? Don't forget how I kicked your ass back then! Who's the pussy now, bitch?"

Ava smiled, her eye twitching. It was like she was trying to keep her fake demeanour, but had it with whatever shit she thought I was pulling. Ava pulled out her phone from her skirt pocket. "One more swear word and I'm calling my dad's office!"

"Gladly," I said. "How about two? Fuck you."

I beat her up before she could even dial the Headmaster's number. Same with Jada and Olivia.

"Jada, I'm disappointed in you. I'm sorry I did that to you back then, and now I see that you have the opportunity to change. All of you."

"You? Sorry?" said Jada. "Don't make me laugh!" She took out a liter and a box of cigarettes. Then, she lit one and started smoking it.

"Jada, this is a no smoking area! Do I really have to report you?" Ava said.

"Shut the fuck up, school police," Jada said. "Last time I checked, I was the leader of this group and Olivia is my co-leader. So I'd advise you to be quiet unless you want someone to get hurt."