Chapter 11

November 24, 2020  12:30 P.M.

I chased after Ava.

She sighed. "You never give up, do you? What do you want?"

"I just wanted to say I was sorry for pushing you Saturday night at the prom. I also apologise for the fact that you deserved to win, so Mia wanted you to have this." I gave her the 14 carat diamond Prom Queen crown.

"Are you serious?" Ava said. "That dyke still cares about me?"

"Lose the slurs," I said. I paused. "What is your past backstory?"

"I don't tell anyone personal stories, because you can't trust anyone in this traitorous world," Ava said, bitterly.

I took her hand. "You can trust me. That's a good start."

"I shouldn't be talking to you. You're beneath me," Ava said, moving her hand away from mine. She scooted away from me. "My mom won't approve of me talking to you."

"So that's why," I said.

"I've gotta go. It was nice talking to you while it lasted," Ava said. "But it's time to wipe that memory from my mind."

"Ava, your mother isn't here right now. You're attending school at Gillian Academy. You're attending a boarding school," I said. "You're old enough to make your own choices, so why not start now?"

"It's not as easy as you think it is, Riley," Ava said. "Wow, your name on my tongue seems different."

I smiled. "It's a sign that you're changing for the better," I said.

"Changing for the better? So does that mean I should dump that smoking, drug addicted hottie, Xander?"

"I can't make choices for you," I said. "Only you are in control of your life."

Ava thought about it for a while. "I'm gonna have to let that set for a week or so," Ava said. "All of this is all so new to me and it's like I'm finally opening my eyes to how accepting the world really is." She sighed. "I hope Olivia could do the same."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"In many ways, she's a lot like me. A lost cause that will take a while to warm up if at all. I don't even know if she has potential!" Ava said, tears streaming down her face.

"Hey, hey. There, there," I said. "Care to talk about it?"

"It's no use and break time is almost over," Ava said. "See you later, maybe?"

"Sure," I said with a smile.

1:00 P.M.

On the way to class, I saw that Ava ran into her father.

"Ava, we need to talk," Headmaster Richards said.

"If it's about what happened on Prom Night, I'm really sorry," she said.

"That's all I wanted to hear," Headmaster Richards said, hugging his daughter. "Remember this: you have way more potential than the monster your mother turned you into. Promise me you won't be like her."

"Yes, Dad," Ava said, hugging her father back. "I love you."

"I love you too, Ava," he said.

He left to his office.

1:45 P.M.

After class, Olivia stood above Ava.

"Well, well, well," she said. "Aren't you just peachy?"

"What do you want, Olivia?" Ava said. "Don't make me report you! And this time it's not a threat!"

"Do what you want when you can, Ava Richards," Olivia said. "Your father is quite the sap. You know, it really pains me to see you finally on his side. And for those freaks? I'm surprised at you, Ava!"

"Excuse me, but my father and I are not saps!" Ava said.

Olivia laughed. "I beg to differ," she said. Olivia lifted her leg and started kicking Ava. In addition to the kicking, she punched Ava several times in the face as well as the gut.

"Think you're still one of the top dogs, huh? Think you can talk back to me, huh? Well, you're wrong! And you're gonna pay for this!" Olivia punched Ava more until she had a black eye.
"Go to the nurse and I'll end your pathetic little life," Olivia said, holding a gun to Ava's head. "Don't make me pull the trigger. I don't want to be responsible for blood splatters all over the school. Unless, that is, you're willing to fucking test me to my very last fuse!"

Ava got to her feet, snatching the gun from Olivia's hands. "Dad, Olivia has a gun," I called.

And just like that, Olivia was expelled. For her punishment, you could see her everyday you walk outside into the school courtyard during break periods, hanging lifelessly on the hanging tree.