Chapter 10 (Sasuke)

No matter what, I have to keep myself detached from this baby. I can't have anything holding me back from gaining the power necessary to kill Itachi. It's already bad enough that I let Naruto in, but I had no choice except to do that. This damn mate bond is too strong to ignore.

The next four months after finding out that the child is a boy seem to go even slower than should be possible, and when those four months end, all I can register is pain. Naruto insisted that I stay with him the past couple weeks until Itaku is born because of this particular situation, but he's not here right now. Naruto was sent on a mission three days ago. He was supposed to be back yesterday, but he's late. That idiot was probably holding the team back like usual, but that means I have to try to get to the Hokage on my own. Hopefully I can hold the transformation through this pain.

By some miracle, I manage to get to Tsunade's office without any issues, but when I get there, the jutsu breaks as another strong wave of pain hits me. She has me reapply the transformation once the pain has subsided, and we rush to the Leaf Hospital.

Tsunade told us a few weeks ago that my situation will require a surgery that she called a c-section since I'm missing a crucial body part for the birth process. She immediately gets me into a room where she can perform the surgery with Shizune as her only assistant in order to help keep my situation a secret from everyone else.

"Where the hell is Naruto?" Tsunade growls as we wait for Shizune to arrive so that the surgery can be started. "That mission wasn't supposed to take this long."

"Izumo and Kotetsu know to send Naruto here as soon as his team arrives," Shizune tells us, as she arrives. Now it's time to start the surgery. Where is that Usuratonkachi?

They keep me awake throughout the surgery, but I do my best to keep my eyes averted. I can't let myself feel anything for Itaku. It's hard enough knowing that I was the one who chose his name after Naruto pestered me every day for nearly two months.

No matter how hard I try not to look, his first cries draw my eyes to his small form. I can't believe that grew inside of me. From my position on the bed, I can only really see the tufts of hair on the top of his head. They're black like my hair. Part of me had hoped that he would have the Dobe's hair, but it's not too surprising since black is a dominant hair color. I wonder if he'll have the Uchiha eyes too.

No. I can't think like that. My eyes are averted from him once more. I can't get attached. If I let myself become attached to my child, he will get in the way of realizing my dream of vengeance.

"Sorry I'm so late!" Naruto has finally arrived just after Shizune has finished closing me back up.

"It's about time, Naruto," Tsunade chides him from where she stands cleaning and measuring Itaku.

"Sorry," he says again coming over to take my hand. "We had an incident on the way back."

I turn away from him as I notice Tsunade walking over. She's most likely bringing the baby over, and I can't let myself look at him.

"As usual, those Uchiha genes are pretty powerful," I hear Tsunade comment as Naruto's hand disappears from mine. "Although, he does have your eyes, Naruto, and the whisker marks."

Another cry comes from the child drawing my eyes once more. This time, I can see his face, and what I see nearly brings tears to my eyes. It's like looking at my mother's face, the same reason I avoid mirrors. We both look like her. The only difference between our faces are the whisker marks on his round cheeks and the bright blue eyes staring at me, staring through me.

I have to look away, but his gaze holds me as if daring me to look away. He's daring me to deny him.

I can't deny that this child, my child, has already wormed his way into my heart the same way his father has.