Chapter 31 (Izumi)

When the battle starts, I'm mostly evacuating citizens. If I were to come across the enemy, I would fight, but getting those who aren't Shinobi out of harms way is more important than trying to hunt for a fight. There are plenty of other Shinobi to battle, and I promised Itachi that I would do my best to stay safe while he's gone.

When Naruto finally appears, there are so many dead already, but from what I can tell, it's all Shinobi. We successfully evacuated all of the civilians.

As I watch from afar, Naruto's fighting ability has me in awe. I've watched this boy grow since the Hokage assigned me to him after Itaku was born. I saw his weakness when Sasuke left as well as every step he took towards getting stronger in order to, one day, reach his goal of bringing his mate back home. Now, I get to watch the fruits of his labors as he avenges the village.

When he disappears from our view with the nine tails chakra cloaking him, I'm worried about the boy and what will happen if the nine tails gets loose. Neither Itachi, nor Sasuke are here to reign it in, and I don't know enough about the Mangekyou Sharingan to be able to do it myself. Even though I worry about the destruction that would come from the Kyuubi escaping Naruto, I worry more about how that happening would affect Sasuke and Itaku, especially Itaku. He's still a baby and needs both of his fathers.

While Naruto is gone, I assist in the effort to find as many of the dead as we can. With my Sharingan, I can't see through the rubble, but if I do see even the slightest hint of someone's chakra signature with these eyes, I can save people. I coordinate with the Hyuga clan since they have been put in charge of the search due to their Byakugan's ability to see through things. Working with them, we, sadly, don't find anyone living in the destroyed areas. Even without any signs of life, I'm quite happy when we find that Danzo was killed. On the other hand, finding out that Kakashi is among the dead makes me feel even worse for Naruto. He's lost so much in his life, his parents on the day he was born and Sasuke leaving him for revenge against Itachi. I'm not sure he can take his sensei's death too.

We're all shocked beyond belief when the dead start getting up, but it also makes all of us extremely happy. The shocking part is that the only one not getting up is the one that I don't want to, Danzo. The gate that had appeared when the Pains revived appeared just before they all started getting up. Does that mean Naruto won and somehow brought everyone back?

As everyone starts to converge on Naruto, I notice a familiar presence that I haven't felt in a very long time. A presence that was almost always near Itachi back then.

Instead of going to Naruto, I go in search of the presence. It doesn't take long to find him, and seeing his current state gives me an idea as to why he didn't come to where everyone else is. Now that I think about it, I should have already figured that out since I currently have his eyes.

"Shisui?" I ask once I've gotten next to the boy. He looks exactly as I remember him, and it makes me slightly jealous because I know that when Itachi sees him, they'll probably be back to the way they were before, always together without time for me.

"Izumi?" he asks. I guess my voice hasn't changed all that much in the past nine years. Either that or he can sense my chakra and recognizes me that way. "What happened? How am I alive?"

Even though I hate the thought that he's going to steal Itachi away from me as soon as Itachi sees him, I give the boy a smile that he can't see. "I honestly don't know. You've been gone for nine years, Shisui."

"I put so much on him." Tears start to spill from his closed eyelids. "What happened with the clan? With the coup?"

Just after his question was spoken, I see Naruto running towards us. "Izumi!" He yells as he continues towards us.

"Who is that?" Shisui asks.

"Naruto," is the only response I give before he's finally enough for me to ask if he knows how Shisui is alive. "How is this possible? How is Shisui alive?"

Naruto smiles brightly after I say Shisui's name. He's probably thinking of how happy Itachi is sure to be when he sees Shisui. I try not to let my face fall at the thought. It wasn't hard to tell back then that Itachi was head over heels for Shisui, and he only ever gave me the time of day sometime after Shisui died.

"When Nagato, the person who was controlling those guys who attacked the village, used the jutsu that revived everyone who died in the attack, I asked him not to bring Danzo back. I was told that someone would have to take Dazo's place, so I asked him to choose a random Uchiha. I'm glad it was someone close to Itachi and Sasuke." Naruto speaks in his normal energetic quick pace. That's definitely one thing Itaku had gotten from him rather than Sasuke.

"I'm glad too," I grin at Narutoto keep him from realizing the pain in my heart knowing that Itachi loves Shisui more than he loves me. "Itachi is probably going to be so happy when he returns."

"Thinking of that, I should probably go get him. Do you still have the Kunai I gave you, or should I mark something nearby to get back?"

I swing the kunai on my finger which leads to Naruto disappearing. He probably teleported directly to Itachi and Itaku, so I won't have much time before I'm cast aside so that Itachi can be with Shisui instead of me. He'll probably insist that I change eyes again so that Shisui can have his back. Maybe not since Shisui would eventually go blind due to the Mangekyou Sharingan.

"Where did he go?" Shisui asks.

It won't be long until Naruto returns with Itachi and Itaku. "He used the Flying Rajin to teleport to Itachi. Itachi was sent out of the village with Naruto's son to protect him while Naruto was training to become a Sage."

"Naruto is old enough to have a son. How old are you and Itachi?"

The worry in his voice makes me laugh. I told him already that he's been dead for nine years, didn't he pay attention? "Shisui, I already said you've been dead for nine years. Itachi and I are twenty-one. Naruto and Sasuke are sixteen. What, are you afraid Itachi is too old for you now?"

When Naruto returns, Itaku is situated on his shoulders, and Itachi is by his side. As soon as Itachi sees who is next to me, he drops to the ground with a shocked gasp.

And bam! Itachi has now seen that Shisui is alive. I wonder what's going on in his head right now. How will Shisui react to what Itachi did?

How will Izumi feel about whatever the reaction is? Can she handle her lover's ex being alive again? (Yes, I know they were only best friends in canon, but I like to believe they were more, and that Itachi is bisexual.)