CHAPTER X

Golden eyes stared into a pair of intimidated yet curious emerald-colored eyes

Aku did not blink as he passed over those eyes that reminded him of his cousin. Another pair of lush-tinted eyes was reminiscent of the children's mother before he met the last pair of more timid pastel purple irises.

These were the ugly creatures he met a decade or so ago. Well, they weren't as unpleasing to the eye as before, if that was a good thing. Aku supposed that perhaps, they did have Founder genes and weren't completely hopeless. If his memory served him right, which is a pleonasm, they were Ayato, Laito, and Kanato.

His lips, drawn in a flat line, slightly curved up, making his overall impression soften and the sharp edge of his eyes lessen to seem more inviting. As a diplomat, Aku knew best how to use his looks or features. He was aware of the sharpness of his pair of almond-shaped golden eyes. He knew that with a mere glance, he easily intimidated others. But he was also aware that his face as a Founder was out of this world. With a single twitch of his lips, changing his aura was an easy trick. In any case, a little magic could always work if he was much too lazy to move his facial muscles.

"Why, good evening, children," he greeted at last. His voice, low and mellow, sowed comfort in the children's heart, yet there was also traces of unsettlement.

The triplets, despite being a mere decade old, had experienced a lot already. Placed in their loving mother's care, they knew that with affection came an equal if not more significant amount of hurt.

That was the way Cordelia educated them.

To receive Mother's attention, I shall always come out on top— Failure is not an option. Shall I fail, then certain punishment awaits.

To be gifted Mother's warmth, I shall smother her in all of my attention— Failure to give would mean losing her Love. Losing her Love, isn't that dying to her?

To be granted an ounce of her time, I shall sing the most beautiful songs— Failure to sing, have my throat bleed, would make me a discarded doll. What is a discarded doll, that is a broken toy, the one you throw away?

Although Aku did not know what the triplets went through, he did not care to ask; he could more or less guess from the times he spied on the manor out of boredom. The crystal ball given to him by Karlheinz was a fantastic source of entertainment; voyeurism was delightful, it seemed.