INTERLUDE

A Majordome's Duty

For as long as he could remember, Kagamine had always been at the service of the Mikazuki dukedom. Although he did not know his last name, Kagamine's family came from a line groomed into servitude by the duchy. It was only natural for the Shadow Demon to pledge himself to the eldest lady of the family when the time came for him to take up the duties of an aide.

Krone Mikazuki, a First Blood of the highest pedigree, second only to the Royal Family of the Founders, was a Demon of grace and elegance.

She was his first Master. The one individual he pledged his Soul to, binding his core to her and leaving his life to peacefully dance at the edges of her deadly fingertips. Ready to tilt and fall to its death at any given moment.

For Nobles and, specifically old, long-standing, reputable families like the Mikazuki, the existence of a soul-binding contract was a sign of wealth and power.

Such contracts required a consequent amount of magic from the binding party, which could only be replaced by magic stones, a rare and costly material. Of course, in the case that the bounded party willingly submitted, the magic required would diminish. Nevertheless, the amount would still be significant, and Demons willingly submitting was a rare, almost impossible occurrence.

For Krone Mikazuki, such a contract was the manifestation of her strong magical powers and the demonstration of the Mikazuki Dukedom's wealth for providing her with the means to perform such a contract. The use of magic stones being an open secret, one never really knew if they came into play.

Nevertheless, as revered and romanticized as the term "Soul Binding" was, it did not change Kagamine's reality. For bounded Demons, it was nothing more than a glorified Slave Contract.

And so, like every slave that ever walked the surface of the Demon Realm, Kagamine received a mark to show his belonging.

A tattoo in the form of a collar that tightly wrapped around his neck.

And later, a large wing would cover half of his back when the youngest of his lady's sons would bind him. Erasing all traces of the previous contract in favor of a gruesome burnt mark hugging the entirety of his neck.

 Erasing all traces of the previous contract in favor of a gruesome burnt mark hugging the entirety of his neck