CHAPTER XIII

"I'll just feed on you, and if you happen to be useful, I might not throw you away afterward

"I'll just feed on you, and if you happen to be useful, I might not throw you away afterward."

Those were the words of salvation Glaciel heard after being pulled out of the orphanage. He did not care that the child— man— Devil? That the Devil that pulled him out of this hellish place could forsake him. There was a chance, a gleam of hope that the Devil wouldn't leave him. He'd just need to be useful.

So Glaciel worked hard, harder than anyone else within Aku's manor.

He'd learn to read and write. He would take up fighting classes if necessary and chase supernatural beings whose strength far surpassed his. Glaciel would strive to become useful, and if his blood and eyes were his only redeeming features in his Lord's eyes, then he'd cherish them more than anything else.

"Oh, Reiji, was it?"

The said boy pushed the rim of his spectacles back. Looking like a fifteen-year-old, Reiji Sakamaki gave the Demon a slight curtsy as he voiced his greetings.

"How may I be of service to you, My Lord?" the Vampire asked, tone polite and words rolling off his tongue at an unhurried pace. "Are you perhaps looking for someone?" he queried, his magenta eyes lidded as he kept his gaze in a lowered, submissive position.

Aku hummed, his golden eyes sizing the second oldest with minute interest. To this day, Reiji appeared the most cold-blooded of his brothers. Blood already coated his hands the way it once dripped from Aku and his brothers', which only made the Founder more interested. To Aku, there existed a fundamental difference between those who killed and those that didn't, and undoubtedly because the First Blood's previous King, Giesbach, was known for his bloodthirstiness, Aku found himself drawn to those who spilled blood.