CHAPTER XVI

Eve tried to run away

The Founder blinked, his golden eyes gazing down at the entry hall to stare at the blonde female Human's body— motionlessly laying on the carpet. The paleness of the girl associated with the already light colors of her clothing contrasted with the darkness of the furniture and obscurity of the manor, making it seem as if she would get swallowed at any moment, leaving nothing but the vague memory of her existence to fade away.

Aku exhaled.

Fortunately, and unsurprisingly, the new Sacrificial Bride hadn't managed to make it out of the mansion. Aku did not wish to send the twins after he. Although competent enough to be of use, none possessed the medical background or experience to perform live surgery— something Aku would need to have them learn lest they become too useless. If the twins went after the Human, there was no guarantee they wouldn't destroy Cordelia's heart. And Aku honestly couldn't be bothered to go after the Adler princess yet.

"Ah, My Lord!"

As usual, the one to first acknowledge and notice his presence was Reiji. Not become his senses were sharper, but the raven-haired Vampire's senses were more tuned to sensing the Founder than any of his siblings. Aku's golden irises switched to meet his favorite's magenta-colored gaze. He graced the raven head with a smile before switching his attention back to the Sacrifice, lips falling back into a flat line.

"Do you plan to let Eve die?" he questioned, taking note of his nephews and step-nephews not moving an inch to help the girl into a room.

Aku did not wait for Reiji to move forward— the poor fanatical boy would have done so without hesitation. He waved his hand, and Kagamine emerged from the condemned girl's immobile shadow. The Shadow Demon bent to give a gracious bow before picking the Human up and fading into the darkness of the curtains with the Bride in his arms.

No one bothered to correct Aku's way of calling the Human— it would die soon enough. Shu and Subaru couldn't be bothered to even call out to the girl. Kanato's mind had long drifted off, and Laito didn't address her by her name. Ayato hadn't left of his ego and wouldn't speak to Aku without reasons, while Reiji would never contradict the Founder's words.

Aku's eyes swept over the Sakamaki siblings, wondering if any would become Adam and be useable or if he'd need to get rid of one to try again.

He hummed.

"Be sure to be on time for dinner time," he reminded. The habits he adopted as their acting Guardian came back to him before he vanished away and back into his quarters.

Teleportation was instantaneous, and the next moment the Founder found himself in the comfort of his rooms. Aku placed a hand over the smooth, used surface of his wooden desk. The smell of paper books filled his senses before he hummed to himself, the chandelier lighting up at the appearance of his gleaming eyes. The fire burned at the wicks, flickering and engulfing the stone-cold room in their petite warmth.