CHAPTER VII

Cries and grunts echoed within the deserted corridor

Cries and grunts echoed within the deserted corridor. Aku marched to the West aisle's highest tower, the closer he got, the louder the noises got. The stench also got more powerful. He scrunched his nose in disgust, almost stopping in the middle of the alley before he resumed his pace.

The tower was located in the deepest part of the West aisle, and the number of staff and Founder allowed to set foot in it was scarce. It was a place allocated to Aku by Giesbach not long after he took his function as the head of the public relations ministry. In fact, apart from Aku and the select few he allowed in, no one dared to get too close to this part of the Banmaden castle.

He climbed the stairs with ease, preferring walking rather than teleporting— he didn't want to get there too quickly. Behind him, the royal physician, Asclepius mutely followed. The man dressed in his usual robe hadn't changed much from the time of Aku's birth. His beard was as long as it used to be, his hood hid the top of his head and almost covered his spectacles.

Soon, they reached the heavy and imposing doors. It looked more like doors to a heavily guarded prison cell than the doors to one of the royal bedchambers. The Demon that stood guard beside the door saluted, never meeting Aku's piercing gaze, he kept his eyes on the stone wall.

Aku didn't spare the man a glance. He silently inhaled and exhaled, painted an amiable smile on his face with hints of anxiety in his eyes, and pushed the doors open. What greeted him was the sight of a woman sweating and crying as she difficultly kept herself awake through the pain of childbirth.

Aku refrained himself from scoffing. Who gave her the guts to bear the children of a Founder?

Nevertheless, he adopted the attitude of a frantic male, worried for his children and beloved. "Hurry, Asclepius!" he ordered, his voice resonating in the windowless dungeon, and overpowering the woman's screeching.

The old doctor executed the orders. Following Aku's direction when they were walking to the tower, he first cast a spell for her to sleep. Silence came back in the room, Aku allowed himself to breathe a sigh of relief. Here he thought he would go deaf. As fast as he took the woman's hand for comfort, he threw it. He didn't care for his image as he requested someone to bring him some water, antiseptic, and a towel to wash his hands before he whanged his gloves, not forgetting to burn the previous pair to ashes.

The staff didn't utter a word, it wasn't their places to. Asclepius too ignored it. They would do a caesarian. First, because the woman was asleep. Second, it didn't matter if she was scarred or died from blood loss. Third, they needed to get the children before they gained their awareness.