Chapter 7

I blink my eyes as I open them. It's bright outside. I must've slept past dawn. I stretched and got out of bed. Wearing my silk robe I headed to Leeya's spacious kitchen. She is standing by the breakfast counter sipping what I assume is coffee.

"Morning! Sorry I couldn't be home early last night. Had a board meeting." she explained as Glenn passed me my plate of eggs. "What would you like to drink, ma'am?" Glenn asks me.

"It's okay. I was worn out anyway. Um.. orange juice please." I reply. Leeya gave me a sympathetic look before asking,"So, what made you decide to move in with me?"

"Just for a couple of weeks, ya. I am not moving in. I'm getting married. To Stephan Grant." my tone is gloomy. Though that is nothing new. Leeya shrieks, "What? Stephan Grant the CEO of Biotech Grant? How long have you been seeing him? Why didn't you tell me?" I gave her a look. Leeya understood immediately,"Your parents. I'm so sorry Alexa.. but why?"

"I actually have no idea why my parents agreed to his proposal. Probably for my future. After Daniel, they can no longer trust me, I guess. Even now, my mother thinks I am running away with some random guy."I grunt exasperated. Leeya simply hugs me in concern.

"It's a contract marriage, Leeya. 4 years. For appearances."I explain further.

"I would love to shake your parents just so they would realize how you are suffering, but you won't want me to do that. It'll all work out, lexie. You know it will. Who knows? Maybe Stephan will be the love of your life?" I snort in response, remembering my last encounter with the man himself. Leeya looks at me questioningly before my cellphone rings. I pick it up.

"Alexa Miller speaking" knowing it could be a call from the hospital I answer formally.

"Good morning, Alexa. Its.."

"Stephan. How did you get my number?" I answer annoyedly, speak of the devil.

"I am your husband in two weeks, of course I would know your number. I was thinking we should go out for lunch today. There is something we need to discuss."

"Can't. Work." He smirks, before I have another call coming in."Hangon, Stephan. I have another call." I pick it up.

"Alexa Miller speaking."

"Miss Miller, this is Carla. The director of the hospital just called to say that he is giving you a day off. Says you've been working hard so he should reward you. I'll be at the lab and I'll call you if I need help. Enjoy your well-deserved day off, Miss." I am dumbfounded, did Stephan have something to do with this? "Um.. thank you Carla. Please do not hesitate to page me." Carla mumbles her goodbyes and hang up. I get back on the line with the devil.

"Stephan, what did you do?" I demand.

Stephan smirks again,"Well, I want to have lunch with you. Plus, you've been stressed out lately, I heard you just moved out of your parents' house?"

"Don't mess with my work Stephan. And there is this bastard who is the cause of stressing me out." I lashed in anger and frustration.

"Alexa, I would watch my tone if I were you. I'll pick you up at Miss Stone's penthouse at 12 sharp. Be ready. If you don't show, I'll drag your smart ass with me."he threatens and hangs up on me.

He hung up on me! Who the fuck does he think he is?!

"Hello? Earth to Alexa?" Leeya calls.

"Yeah. Stephan called. Lunch at 12. He even dared to call the director of the hospital to give me a day off."

Leeya gives a disapproving look and says,"Lexie, you can stand up to him. Perhaps you can annoy him enough he won't want you as a wife." I nodded in agreement.

"Well, that is my plan Leeya. Anyway don't you have work?"

"I do. Gonna shower now." She heads off to the bathroom.

I realize its already 11 am and quickly finish up my breakfast, or brunch and take a shower myself. I would wanna look my best. I decide on a blue dress that hangs right above my knee. I let my brown hair flow freely and apply lipgloss. I rarely wear makeup. It's 11.30 by the time I am ready.

"You look nice, lexie." Leeya compliments. She is in a business suit, looking perfect as usual.

"Thanks. You too. Are you gonna be home for dinner? I could cook if you want." I really needed a task to fill my day today,if not I'll suffer tonight.

"Nah. Charles and I have a meeting today. He is opening a new office in Chicago. Wants me decorate the interiors." Her tone is calm and cool but I know she is freaking out inside. The last time she and Charles were in a room alone together,well.. they ended up fighting and didn't talk to each other for days. Its always up and down between them.

"Really now? You shouldn't be too hard on him. You both have feelings for each other. Have some faith in him." I encourage.

"It's just a business meeting,lexie. We will act professionally and try not to kill each other. By the way, there is a basketball court you can use in the lobby. You know, if you wanna let off some steam." I roll my eyes knowing this is her tactic of asking me to change the subject.

We both head downstairs and Thomas drives her off to her workplace while I wait for my freakin fiance. But Leeya's words got the best of me and I went to the basketball court.

I absolutely love basketball. I was in the college-varsity team. Basketball is a way for me to let off steam and tires me out. I could sleep easy. I took off my shoes and start dribbling the ball barefoot despite my dress. Wanting to see if I still got it,I start shooting hoops. Gosh I miss basketball.

"I didn't know you play." A familiar husky voice startles me.

Of course. The devil has arrived and as usual, with a grand entrance. I roll my eyes at him and his pupils dilate.

Heyy guys!! So.. I am back at school tomorrow and updates won't be as frequent. Enjoy! xo EllaJ