Chapter 31

"Mrs Grant? She's coming to, sir," I hear Collins,speaking.

I feel dazed. "Good. Alexa?" Stephan says.

I blink my eyes open. I am lying on a hospital bed. What the heck?

"Why am I in the hospital?" I ask.

"You fainted. Are you alright?" Stephan asks me.

I nod, slowly sitting up. My head starts to spin. Immediately, I press my fingers to my temples. Woah..

"Hey, go easy. Collins, call the doctor." Stephan orders. Collins left the ward.

"What happened,Alexa? Why did you faint?" Stephan demands to know.

He is most definitely not a knight in a shining armor who would tend to the maiden in distress. "I just passed out," I lied.

I know perfectly well what happened before I passed out. I had a panic attack, then my dark past came flooding through my memory, but Stephan didn't need to know that.

Stephan clenched his jaw, displeased with my answer. Before he could comment, the door opened. And I see Dr Morrison walk in, with Collins behind him. I gulp. Shit! Why does THAT doctor have to be here?

"Alexa! Good to see you! Ah, you must be Mr Grant. Congratulations on your wedding," Dr Morrison says to Stephan with his usual charm before shaking Stephan's hand.

"Thank you, doctor. How do you know Alexa?" Stephan asks, his tone suspicious. Shit! Please don't tell him I see a shrink. Please don't tell him! I beg internally.

Seeing my horrid expression, Dr Morrison instantly knew what I was thinking. I never wanted anyone to know I see a shrink. With an easy manner, he replied,"Well, she used to work here,no?"

Stephan nodded, not questioning further. Thank god!

"So, Alexa, why did you faint in a hospital? I thought you loved it here?" Dr Morrison asks, wondering.

"Well, its a better place to faint in. Compared to a remote island in the middle of nowhere." I say with dry humor. The blasted doctor laughs at my poor attempt of a joke. I see from the corner of my eyes, Stephan clenching his jaw and folding his arms across his chest.

"Fair point, Mrs Grant." It seems that Dr Morrison noticed Stephan's demeanor, because his tone immediately changes to a professional one.

He continues,"You know its procedure to run a psychology examination, that is why I am here. So, if you'll excuse me, Mr Grant, perhaps you would kindly leave Mrs Grant alone to answer my probing, procedural questions?"

Stephan glares at the doctor. This is not good. "No. I'll stay here. I am sure Alexa would be perfectly fine with my company,"

"Alexa, is that okay with you?" the doctor asks me.

Why does Stephan have to be so possessive and controlling? I know exactly what the doctor is going to ask me. And I can't answer truthfully with Stephan around. But if I make Stephan leave, not only I would get in trouble when I get home, but Stephan might just lunge for the poor doctor.

With a sigh, I replied,"Yes, its fine,"

Dr Morrison raises his eyebrow at me, a gesture asking me whether I am really okay with it. I nod to reassure him.

"Very well. So, what was the last thing you remember before you passed out?" Dr Morrison asks me.

"I had a panic attack," I reply shortly, hoping the doctor wouldn't question further though its highly unlikely.