Chapter 25

("I know I could lie, but I'm telling the truth. Wherever I go, there's a shadow of you. I know I could try looking for something new. But wherever I go, I'll be looking for you. Wherever I go, I'll be looking for you, you.")

The better part of the week passed by in a flash. Same old. Sometimes, I can't even tell what day it is. I have a mountain of work piling on my back and I'm here procrastinating. I've been on this break for way longer than I should have been. That's one of the worst feelings, you know? When you're procrastinating and you're aware of it and your conscience keeps telling you to stop, but you just can't stop and keep eating potato chips while feeling every moment pass by.

My only ray of sunshine is Kai but heavy clouds cover his gleam it seems; like those dull, grey days when it rains. Believe me when I say I worked hard to uncover the source of his sorrow. I mean, I'm not good at that, but I tried. He just wants to talk trivial stuff, he'd steer the conversation away if it gets even a little heavy. I just don't know anymore; when, where, and how I should confess. I talked to Books a few days ago, and he helped, of course, but it doesn't look like he could help in this situation. Also, he has his mock tests going on and I don't want to interrupt.

Marvin says Kai is going through something and that maybe I could wait for a while. Though it seems like it, I just can't let go of the possibility that I messed up somehow. Of course, I am excellent at that. I try not to think of it but the thought is just always there. It terrifies me. I want another packet of chips now. I need a break from this break.

Also, I just remembered I never messaged Andrei. Might as well procrastinate more. I'll start at eight. I found him on social media and messaged him from my number.

Hey Andrei. It's Marc. Sorry, totally forgot to message you ;_; -Me

Andrei- Marc! How have you been?

Andrei- Congrats on making it to the semis

Should say it to David -Me

I'm the same. Life's hard-Me

Andrei- Come on! Both of us know you helped a lot.

Andrei- ikr toughlife

We talked random stuff for a while and got easily comfortable. He has a witty sense of humour and is indeed easy and enjoyable to talk with. But then he just had to get to the subject I truly don't want to discuss right now. I mean, I messaged you to forget about it, Andrei. Why do you have to sink my spirits again?

Andrei- So, how are things with the gloomy guy?

He's not gloomy. Come on -Me

Well, now Kai is gloomy, but what does he know.

We're still friends -Me

I kept seeing 'typing' from his side for a few minutes. He finally replied,

Andrei- Can I call you? It'd be easier.

Ok.. -Me

I didn't really think about it when I told him he can call me. What would he even want to talk about in call that he can't in chat? I didn't actually get a chance to contemplate on the situation, as I soon received a call.

"Hey, Marc."

"Hi Andrei. So..."

"Um... Is Kai acting weird?" Andrei asked with uncertainly and reluctance clear in his approach. Wow, straight to the heavy stuff.

The question itself caught me off guard. How does he even know? Why is he even asking? Before I could even form a coherent answer, I blurted out.

"Yeah, I mean, no. What do you mean?"