Chapter 26

"So, you understand what you're supposed to do, right?"

"Of course, my liege."

"Marvin, stop! Thank you so much, though."

"It's all right. I'll make sure everything goes right. I'm so excited!"

"Tone it down."

"Okay, okay. All the best, Marc."

________________________

The next day, David sent a text in group chat saying they've planned on meeting and relaxing at the park we go to. This Saturday. Since our practical tests will start in the coming week and then we have a few mock tests scheduled the week after that, a casual, relaxed evening would really help. We've been overloaded with classes and assignments for a while now. We haven't even had the time to meet with all of us present. 

Duke suggested we do a campfire since it's getting colder these days. The park is enormous and apparently there is an isolated open space near the creek. Ezra, Liam and Felix jumped at that idea, like when they get free food. Felix mostly wants to sleep on the ground by the fire. 

Do the others know? It's highly unlikely Marvin told them why we're doing this. Still, how he roped all of them into this is a mystery to me. Even though I'm the one who asked him to do that. He has got people skills, that's for sure. 

Last time we were there, I didn't go for the walk they invited me to. Of course, I'd rather spend time with Kai, even if it's just lying on the grass in silence. But I remember it was that time together that brought us closer as friends. It was the night we actually connected. He talked to me that day. Not just as some acquaintance. As in, he talked to me like a dear friend would. Tell you their deepest thoughts and things troubling them. 

There was a certain warm comfort in the night's calm; us just lying there under the clouds. Even the cold silence had a warmth to it. I knew then. I felt it. It is going to be different now. We may not have realised it. But we felt the shift. It couldn't be seen then, but it was there. So we enjoyed the clouds. No stars could to be seen, either. But they were there. 

The creek there is gorgeous. Not too wide, nor too rocky. There is a bridge over the creek, which is probably the most beautiful place in the park. So, that's the spot I've decided on. 

There are some places that can make you forget. Places that make you feel you've dissociated from reality, even for a little while. These places carry separate personal memories when you share it with someone special. As the roof is for Kai, or the arbour tunnel is for me. I hope we shed off everything else when we step on the bridge and just be Marc and Kai there. Just the two of us.

________________________

"Duke and Felix, why don't you go get the drinks and food. Others can help me set up the fire and get this place ready." 

"Nah, I'm sleepy. I want to lie down."

"Felix, just help him, you can do whatever you want after everything is ready."

"Ugh. Why doesn't David ever let me lie down first?"

"Because you fall asleep in an instant. And sleep like the dead."

Duke snickered, garnering a death glare from Felix. 

Felix dragged his feet and followed Duke. Marvin gave me the signal by jutting his jaw subtlely, meaning he'll start now. 

"Marc, Kai, come with me, let's gather some twigs. We'll be too lazy later if our fire burns out." 

"It's just a small fire. It'll be fine."