Chapter 9

I was having my second Breezer, a strawberry one, when Kairn asked me, "you like it a lot, huh?"

"I didn't wanna have beer, so this is the best choice." I said, shaking my half full bottle.

I lay down on the grass and took another swig.

"Pfft you really are a weirdo. Who drinks while lying down? What if you choke or all of it just falls on your face." He looked down at me and snickered.

I looked up at him and scoffed, "and you're a dork."

I mean yeah; I do some weird stuff like putting on a T-shirt inside out by using it's arm holes, so it's the right way when you put it on through the head hole. Now you know how to put on a shirt inside out. I was too lazy to flip it around first so I just started putting them on that way.

"Mango or strawberry?"

"What?" I asked him incredulously.

"Which one do you like more?"

"Mango. Always mango."

"Hey guys we're going for a walk, you wanna join?" David called out to us.

"Nah I'm fine here."

"Yeah same."

David just shrugged. Duke, Liam and Ryan joined him for a walk around the park. Kairn brought a mango Breezer and sat beside me again. Felix, Ezra, Marvin and Lance were still on the grass, a little farther away.

"I can't drink while lying down."

"It's easier when the bottle's half empty." He just smiled and shook his head.

"It's nice. Too sweet though." Kairn said raising his bottle.

He enjoyed his drink and I, the moving clouds for a while.

Looking at Kairn, I thought of how close we've got. It took him a few days to even start talking to me at first. It reminded me of a conversation I had with Felix the first week I became friends with the guys.

______________________

"Hey Felix, thanks for the organic chemistry notes. Can you help me with a few reactions later? "

"You're welcome and sure. So... how're you liking this school so far?"

"I settled in pretty easily, thanks to you guys. I love talking to you guys. Well... except Kairn. He... he still doesn't really talk to me. Does he not like me?"

"Give him some time. You must've noticed he doesn't talk much by himself. And I think he likes you a lot, more than even the guys in the group. He's with us more often now. You must be in top five or three." Felix chuckled lightly.

"What- Pfft. Okay, thanks. Phew, I thought he didn't like me. He's pretty famous with girls, huh? I see them trying to talk to him. Well, he is kinda cool."

"Yeah, he is kinda famous. He joined this school in 9th grade so people don't really know much about him. Girls think he's like those mysterious bad boys, all cynical and closed off, because he doesn't talk a lot or joke around. Or smile or laugh a lot. But he's really just a sweet guy. Even though he talks to people if they talk to him, a few are actually close to him. He isn't really an open book."

"Huh, I never really thought about it. People just judge him I guess. They expect him to be mysterious and cynical because he just looks the part."

And that's when I decided to get closer to him. I won't give up so easily, even though he doesn't really talk to me now.

________________________