Chapter 11

I feel so relaxed. This feeling so pleasing. I'm lying down on grass, but it feels so soft. Like a soft mattress, safe and cosy. I look up at the sky. It's a purple pink ombre. I see stars. They're moving.

"That looks like a heart." There's someone lying down beside me. I know this voice. But the sound is dampened, like through a thick fog. It's not real.

I have no control. I look at him. Kai. "Yeah it does." I smiled at him.

I look up again. The sky is a blue ombre now. There are no stars. Just clouds floating away. There's a heart shaped cloud.

The clouds aren't white. They are in different colours. I feel like the sky is moving, but it's the ombre gradient changing. I ease into the surrounding. It's calm. There's Kai beside me. There's a sudden warm feeling in my left hand. Kai's holding my hand. I have no control. I wanna have control. Ask him. Understand those eyes.

I'm dreaming.

As soon as I had this realisation, our world started crumbling away. No clouds. No stars. No beautiful sky. Just the dark purple black sky. I try to concentrate more on the dream. But I can already hear the sounds of the real world. Just a little longer. I focused on the dream. But I'm drifting away. I'm waking up.

"Marc..." It's the same tone. I turned towards him, smiling. He's staring intently into my eyes. Yes, tell me. Why is your gaze different? Why isn't it the regular, uncaring gaze? Why are your eyes so full of emotions? I don't know them. I can't understand them.

You look so vulnerable, Kai.

"Marc...I..."

I woke up. I look at my left hand, there's still a slight tingling sensation. Or maybe it's just in my head.

I've tried lucid dreaming before. But as soon as I realise it's a dream, I wake up. But realising it's a dream makes my senses heightened and my emotions intensified. I feel uneasy and heavy when I wake, if that happens.

________________________

It's already 11 AM now. I woke up really late. So I had some cereal. But I'm so glad mom or dad didn't wake me up. Though if it wasn't for the sound of things moving, I'd have been able to dream a little while longer.

What was that weird dream, anyway? I don't remember all of it but a clear tingling sensation in my left hand, the sky and clouds. And Kai. His eyes. Why did I dream of that moment? I felt like he was trying to say something else. Weird. Well, Kai was the last person I talked to last night. So it makes sense right? Ugh that dream and now thinking so much made my head hurt.

"What're you thinking so hard about? You're frowning." Mom joined me at the table. She started replying to some messages on her phone.

"Nothing. How was the movie yesterday? Let's watch one today."

"Hmm," she said, eying me suspiciously. "It was good. And I knew it." Mom banged the table with her fist in excitement. She gets excited over movies like me.

"I told your Dad, that dude who confessed is not the killer."

"Yes you did, okay." Dad said from the living room. Mom had a proud and pleased expression on her face.

"Are you guys done with arranging everything? Want my help?"

"Yeah. It was just some stuff we don't need that we were moving. We'll get rid of those later. And I know you won't help." My mom shook her head and laughed.

"Hmm that's true."

"Let's watch another movie together tonight. Look for one that doesn't exceed two hours." She gave her attention back to her phone. "I gotta call sis now." Mom left me alone again to call my aunt.