Ch. 39

Cassie stared at the door of the locker room, trying to control her breathing. The roar of the stadium clouded her thoughts as she tried to go over the spells she wanted to use again, but it was impossible for her to concentrate.

The door suddenly opening caught her attention and she looked up to see her parents entering the locker room, quickly shutting the door behind them. As her mother walked towards her, her father looked around the room with interest.

"This is different from the Slytherin locker room," He said in a light tone. "Much brighter."

"I'm starting to think everything about Gryffindor is brighter than Slytherin," Hermione said jokingly, smirking at her husband.

He gave her a confused look before letting out an offended scoff. "Hey now!"

Hermione simply laughed and looked back at Cassie, who had managed a smile at her parents. Pulling her daughter in for a hug, Hermione asked, "How are you doing, dear?"

"Nervous," Cassie admitted before taking a deep breath. "He defeated the Beauxbatons champion with only five spells."

"They weren't very good spells though," Draco said, frowning. "Yours are much more creative and that will earn you more points."

"Still..." Cassie looked down at the floor and rubbed her face in frustration. "There's so many people out there too."

Hermione gave Draco a worried look before looking back at her daughter. "Sweetheart, your entire school is out there to support you; you're a very talented dueler and you'll do just fine."

Draco nodded and gave his daughter a reassuring smile. "Just focus on doing your best, that's all that matters."

Before Cassie could say anything, the door opened again and Ron stepped in. "Oh, hey you two. The duel's about to start so you need to get back to your box."

The Malfoys nodded and each gave Cassie a hug and kiss before leaving the locker room. Ron looked over to Cassie and asked, "Nervous?"

"Very," She nodded.

He gave her a smile and said, "That's natural. You're going to do just fine though; just trust your instincts and remember, shield charms are wonderful."

She let out a half-hearted laugh at this and stood up, jumping up and down slightly to try and let out some of her nervous energy.

"Don't forget to not focus on the crowd," Ron added. "You did wonderful last duel so let that carry on into this one."

"Yeah well, this champion is much different than Beauxbatons," Cassie said nervously. "You saw his last match."

"Enh, he's more brawn than brain; your mother and I dealt with one of those in our year," Ron said, smiling slightly. He then looked at Cassie and said, "The Confundus Charm works rather well on those types of people."

She stared at him for a moment before giving him a sly look. "Are you suggesting I use that on him?"

Ron simply shrugged and grinned. "Do with that information what you will."

Harry's voice suddenly booming through the stadium made her jump as her nerves formed knots in her stomach. She jumped up and down again, shaking her hands out as her uncle watched with an amused expression.

"You're going to be fine," He said reassuringly.

"I sincerely hope so," Cassie muttered.

"Representing Hogwarts..."

She let out a loud frustrated groan and looked up at the ceiling of the locker room, grabbing her wand from her back pocket.

"...Cassandra Malfoy!"