Ch. 21

The Great Hall was buzzing with excited energy the following Monday as a rumor had spread that there was going to be an important announcement at breakfast that day. Some of the students believed it was going to be a twist in the tournament, others were contemplating if the tournament was going to be called off altogether. Holly and Cassie, though, were desperately trying to console Sera as she believed they were going to call off quidditch.

"Sera, they're just pushing the matches off to Sundays!" Cassie said exasperatedly. "They won't be cancelling it altogether!"

"You don't know that!" Sera said worriedly, stabbing one of her potatoes.

"Neither do you," Holly said through bites of a bagel. "Now come on; just focus on eating!"

Sera sighed heavily and put her chin in her hands, glancing around the Great Hall. While the students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang were all welcome to eat their meals in the Great Hall, nearly all of them would eat in their respective areas. There were some who would come to the Great Hall, but that was mostly because they were dating the student they were sitting with, and there were a handful of relationships already in the couple of weeks of the other two schools visiting.

As breakfast ended the clinking of silver on glass caught everyone's attention and the Hall quieted down as Professor McGonagall stood up in her chair.

"Good morning, everyone!" She greeted cheerfully, looking around the Hall. "As you know, we will soon be in the month of December. In previous tournaments, it has been tradition that we hold a Yule Ball for the participating schools. We have decided to carry on this tradition, and in a month's time we will be holding our very own Yule Ball!"

The Hall burst into excited conversation, prompting Professor McGonagall to clink her knife against her glass again to quiet everyone down.

"Yes, it is very exciting!" She said with a smile. "We will be doing it rather differently this time as well! The ball will run from seven to midnight; however, first through third years will not be allowed to attend past nine-thirty."

A collective groan from the younger years made her raise an eyebrow and the groaning soon ceased as she took a deep breath. "Now, the attire will be dress robes and evening gowns. Any outfits deemed inappropriate will have the wearer barred from entry to the ball. There will be food and drink available, and there will be a rousing performance by The Goblin Kings!"

Holly gave a quiet squeal as she excitedly kicked Sera and Cassie under the tables, causing them both to laugh; The Goblin Kings was Holly's favorite band and she raved about them all the time. Other students were just as excited as she was as Professor McGonagall had to clink her knife against her glass again.

"The ball will be held on Christmas day, so I highly recommend staying for the winter holidays as this is an event you do not want to miss," She said with a smile. "Now, off you all go to your classes! And do not forget to find a date before the Yule Ball!"

The quietness dissipated quickly as everyone excitedly chattered about the ball. Holly was grinning at Cassie and Sera by the time the three of them made it to the end of the tables.

"So!" She started with a clap of her hands, looking between the other two Veela girls. "Are you two going to be asking your mates to this ball?"

Cassie bit her lip while Sera stared at Holly in shock. Holly laughed before saying, "Come on! This is the perfect opportunity for you two! And it's a month away so you have plenty of time!"

"I don't know..." Cassie said hesitantly.

Holly scoffed and rolled her eyes as the three of them walked out of the hall. "Cass, you know Jaxon would say yes to you."