Ch. 36

"Shouldn't I be the one pacing back and forth nervously right now?" Cassie asked, somewhat amused.

Sera didn't look up at her though as she continued to pace across the empty common room floor, both of her hands on her head in frustration and nervousness.

"You're more than welcome to join me," Sera said in a forced-light tone. "There's plenty of floor to pace on."

Then she finally paused and narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "Why aren't you nervous right now? Your match is tomorrow and you look calm."

"Oh I'm nervous, don't worry," Cassie said, running a hand through her hair. "I guess I'm just not nervous enough to pace right now."

She watched as Sera resumed her pacing, shaking her head after a little while and smiling. "Sera, they're not going to be upset."

"You don't know that," Sera said quickly.

Cassie sighed and leaned back into her chair; she hadn't told Sera that her mother had guessed Sera was a lesbian, and that Sera's mother thought the same thing. She wasn't quite sure how upset Sera would be with the knowledge that Cassie's parents knew, especially since she didn't want to take away the moment from Sera. But as she watched her friend worry herself to pieces, she started to wonder if maybe she should tell her.

"Ser, calm down," She started finally with a sigh. "I don't think it's going to be as bad as you think it will be."

"I'm trying to stay positive, I really am," Sera said, pausing in her place and staring up at the ceiling. "I'm just...worried about how they're going to react to Charlotte and if it's negatively then I'm going to have to pick Charlotte over them because she's my mate, and I don't want to do that."

Cassie chewed on the inside of her cheek for a moment before slowly saying, "What if they accept you though and you worried for nothing?"

Sera didn't answer for a moment, instead going to sit in the chair opposite of Cassie. She ran a hand through her hair with a heavy sigh and looked down at the floor. "I know that's probably what's going to end up happening, but I can't help worrying about everything bad happening."

"Nothing bad is going to happen," Cassie said reassuringly. "Your parents are going to love Charlotte, and they're going to be happy that you found your mate."

"I hope so..."

Cassie smiled and stood up then, nodding towards the stairs leading up to their dorm. "Come on; I don't know about you, but I have a match tomorrow and I know that you can't really worry when you're sleeping."

"You underestimate my worrying abilities," Sera said, managing a smile at this as she stood up as well.

Cassie shook her head and rolled her eyes as they made their way towards the stairs. "Come on, drama queen. I'll force-feed you a Sleeping Draught if I have to."

"Now who's being dramatic?" Sera asked, causing the two of them to laugh as they disappeared up into the dorm.

Cassie paced back and forth in the Gryffindor locker room, the sounds of the crowd only aggravating her nerves. Her mind was racing as she thought through all of the spells she could use when the locker room door opened, making her jump.

"Sorry, Cass," Her Uncle Ron said sheepishly, putting a hand up in apology as he shut the door. "Didn't mean to startle you."

"It's okay," She said, forcing a smile. "Sort of easily startled right now."