Ch. 24

When Sera woke up the next morning, she looked over to Cassie's bunk and saw the blonde Veela staring up at the ceiling with wide eyes.

"You alright over there?" Sera asked slowly, raising an eyebrow as she sat up. She noticed that Alex and Bryony had already left; the other two girls probably went to breakfast since she, Cassie, and Holly were all still asleep.

Cassie didn't answer immediately, but after blinking she asked, "Did Jaxon hold my hand last night?"

Sera grinned then as she remembered. "Yeah; when I brought you back your drink, you actually had your head on his shoulder and you two were talking quietly."

Cassie pulled the pillow out from under her head and dropped it on her face, letting out a loud groan into it. Sera laughed at this and looked over, seeing that Holly was starting to stir with her hair all a mess.

"Why are we yelling so early?" Holly groaned, rubbing her eyes.

"Cassie's remembering last night," Sera grinned.

Holly let out a giggle before sitting up and immediately groaning again. "There wouldn't happen to be a Pepper-Up in here, would there?"

"I don't think so," Sera sighed before looking back at Cassie and laughing again. "Cass, you don't need to hide; we all thought it was cute!"

"I just didn't want him to see me like that," Cassie said, lowering the pillow with a sigh. "That's embarrassing."

"I don't think he cares," Holly said with a shrug. "He seemed happy the entire time."

Cassie shook her head and sat up, holding the pillow against her and looking down at the foot of her bed. She couldn't remember much after her fight with Connor, even though she remembered that very well. There was a rush of satisfaction in telling him off, but at the same time she couldn't deny the small twinge of guilt that came with it. They had always been friends, but that's also all she wanted to be after she realized he wasn't her mate. He clearly didn't feel the same way though, and she knew that it was better this way. She probably could have handled it better but at the same time it was done and over with for the time being.

"What's got you so lost in thought?"

She looked up to see both Sera and Holly looking at her curiously, and she shrugged. "Just trying to remember everything. I honestly don't remember much after the fight..."

"I did make your drink kind of strong," Sera said sheepishly. "But nothing bad happened, I promise."

"So wait, did you finally tell Connor off?" Holly asked.

Cassie nodded glumly. "I do feel guilty about how I did it..."

"Cass, he called you a spoiled brat," Sera said with a furrowed brow. "I mean granted, you could have told him earlier what was happening but he took it too far by overreacting like that."

"He did what?!" Holly exclaimed, staring between them with wide eyes.

"Yeah..." Cassie rubbed her cheek unhappily. "He kept demanding that I tell him the truth and claimed that if I truly cared about the friendship I'd make time for him, which is ridiculous considering everything else I'm doing on top of all the Veela shit, and when I told him that things were complicated he called me a spoiled brat and said I don't appreciate anything."

She took a deep breath and sighed it out, burying the lower half of her face into her pillow and saying in a muffled voice, "It's frustrating but it is what it is. Jaxon made him leave shortly after I blew up at him and I don't think he'll be bothering me any time soon."

Holly was still glaring furiously, shaking her head. "That's still bullshit. Regardless of everything, you're still insanely busy and you have a competition to worry about along with your regular school work!"