Ch. 4

Sera had managed to get the rest of the day off from her classes after Professor McGonagall had spoken to Madam Pomfrey about the severity of Cassie's condition. Nathan had even agreed to collect homework for the classes that the girls both missed, and he delivered some of it when he check in with Sera at lunch.

"How is she?" He asked, sitting down at the foot of the bed.

"No change yet," Sera said with a sigh. "She hasn't even moved."

Nathan frowned, looking down at Cassie. Then his brow furrowed and he said, "Her hair is lighter."

"What?" Sera focused her attention on Cassie's hair and her mouth dropped slightly. "How did I not see that? It's definitely a few shades lighter than it was before."

"Well you have been sitting here for a few hours, you've probably only seen it gradually changing," Nathan said.

"Good point."

They both fell silent and Sera stood up from her chair, setting down the book she had been reading and stretching. "Have you told Scorp yet?"

"Yeah, he knows," Nathan nodded. "He said he'd come by later."

"What about Connor?" She asked nervously. "He's going to know something's up once he sees her hair."

"The beautification potion excuse should throw him off," He said reassuringly. "It worked with us."

"Yeah, but we didn't have any obvious changes like hair color," She argued.

Shaking his head, Nathan looked at the doors to the Hospital Wing and said, "We'll figure something out."

"What if he isn't her mate?" Sera asked then in a quiet voice. "They're both going to be so disappointed..."

"I know, I was wondering that too," He said, taking Sera's seat as she walked around a bit. "They got really close after third year."

"Okay, so I wasn't the only one to notice that," Sera said, pacing at the foot of Cassie's hospital bed. "I just think it's funny that she said she didn't want to date anyone, and yet here she is sneaking around with Connor."

Nathan grinned at this before letting out a sigh. "I honestly don't think he's her mate. It's just too perfect of a pairing."

"I know, like you expect it," She nodded, pausing and leaning against the frame. "Who do you think it'll be?"

"Truthfully? I have no idea," He shrugged. "It could be anyone. She hasn't really shown interest in anyone else though."

"You don't have to be interested in them for them to be your mate," Sera said.

"I know but still..."

The door to the Hospital Wing opened behind them and they both turned to see Connor and Scorpius walking into the wing. Sera gave Nathan a nervous look and Nathan immediately stood up and walked to the two boys, stopping them before they made it to Cassie's bed.

"Is she alright?" Connor asked nervously, trying to look around Nathan.

"She's not really able to see anyone right now," Nathan said quickly, subtly moving to obscure Connor's view. "We'll let you know when she wakes up."

"Wakes up?" Connor's brow furrowed and he glared at Nathan. "Okay, what is going on?"

"She's very sick right now," Nathan explained gently. "She passed out when Sera was bringing her to the Wing this morning and she's been unconscious ever since."

"And no one told me?!" Connor exclaimed, pushing past him to rush to Cassie's bed.

Nathan sighed and looked down at Scorpius, whispering, "I thought I told you to keep him occupied while I checked on Sera and Cass."