Ch. 34

Two weeks passed by, and it was the off-weekend between the second and third rounds of duels. While Durmstrang had championed the duels for the youngest students, Beauxbatons came out on top for the second rounds with Hogwarts being a close second.

Cassie was feeling the pressure mount as her duels neared; it was still one weekend away but she couldn't seem to ignore the nerves any time they rose up. Jaxon tried his best to distract her with walks around the lake and funny conversation, but he could tell that she was distracted still.

"Everything's going to be alright," He said quietly, wrapping an arm around her shoulders as they paused at the lake's edge. "You're going to do brilliantly."

She leaned into him as she sighed heavily, looking down at the ground for a few moments. "It's just...that's so many people to be watching me at one time."

"Well there is another person that half of them will be watching too," He said lightly. "The focus isn't going to be all on you."

"I sincerely hope not," She said in a quiet voice, looking out at the lake.

They stood there quietly for a little while, simply enjoying each other's company. She could feel a warm content feeling radiating from him and this helped to improve her mood as she let his contentedness wash over her.

She looked up at him with a smile then and asked, "Have you thought about what you would like to do after school?"

He blinked in surprise at the subject change but returned her smile. "I'm not sure yet. I do know I'll be moving back here for sure though."

He leaned down to kiss her forehead and her smile widened at this as she said, "It's going to be odd, being so far away from you for a few months after the tournament ends."

"I'll write to you as often as I can," He said reassuringly. "And Sera and Charlotte will be in the same boat so you and Sera can mope together."

She laughed and smacked him lightly on the chest. "I'm not going to mope!"

"Oh please, you'll be so sad without me here!" He teased, tightening his arm around her. "You'll have to deal with Nathan and Holly being grossly cute all the time."

"Ugh, yeah not looking forward to that again," She sighed. "It's easier when the six of us are all together so I can focus on you."

"I would've thought you'd be focusing on me anyways," He laughed, turning them around to walk across the grounds again.

She laughed at this as well and said, "Well obviously, yes, but I can't exactly focus on you if you're not there."

"Fair point, I suppose," He smiled. There she felt him grow curious before he asked, "Are you going to be able to feel my emotions still from that far away?"

"Not from that far away, no," She said. "At least not right now. Maybe in a few years as our bond strengthens. My parents would be able to, I think."

"Yeah, but they've been together for a long time," Jaxon said.

"Nearly twenty years, yeah."

"Wow," He said, his eyebrows shooting up in surprise. "That's quite a long time."

She laughed as she looked up at him. "I suppose when you're in love though, it doesn't feel that long."

He smiled down at her before kissing her forehead again.

"Cassie!"

They both looked up to see Scorpius jogging towards them, nearly out of breath. As he stopped in front of them he caught his breath, putting his hands on his knees.