Worm

18. Nate Jacobs

"Nate!" She shook him awake, brushing her hands against his face. He grunted, eyes opening wide once he noticed her tear stained faced. Panic rose across his mind immediately.

"Huh? What happened? Is everything okay? What's wro-"

She brought his body closer to her. Smushing him with her arms.

"You can't leave me. Please don't leave me." She pleaded. He felt confused and in awe.

He would never leave her. He loved everything inch of her.

"I'm here, I'm always here nothings going to take me away. I know I messed up, like for real, I think about it everyday but my pain is nothing compared to the way I made you feel. I'm sorry." He wanted to cry watching her cry.

"I love you always." His eyes widened, in awe. She loved him still, through it all she loved him.

But he didn't deserve it. She was worth more than he could ever be. She wasn't meant to be his, he had hurt her and belittled her. He ruined something that was going so well for them for nothing. He had broken their home.

And yet here he was in awe staring at her, tears splattered on her face, eyes doe and wide.

"I love you always." He cradled her until she slept, admiring her. She looked so peaceful and he couldn't help but feel guilt for the way he left, he had been so caught up in getting her back and she didn't push him away. She let him in and accepted him back, flaws and all. He glanced at his phone, staring at the text from Mkay.

'I love you bro. I don't care who you choose to be with, as long as you're happy. You're still my best friend.'

Nate had came out as Bisexual to Chris Mckay that night. He heard his phone ping it was another text from Mckay.

'🏳️‍🌈❤️'

And he smiled in relief feeling himself feel accepted.

-

"You know you did fūck her up." He smiled, feeling her gently playing with his fingers, tracing over the drawings she drew on his hands earlier.

"I didn't. I was just defending you." She insisted, staring at her once again bruised knuckles.

She was slouching, against his chest and he loved it. He loved watching her slouch comfortably against his shoulders. He would never tell her that however, as she would intent to fix that trait of hers and most likely never do it again. Her makeup was done and she was wearing a satin dress loose dress.

"I don't think a girl should like be able to able to put hands on you like that you know? You're not an object nor are you hers. You're you. Your own person." She continued.

"I am yours however." He responded back loving the way her eyes sparkled.

"I can't ever leave you, I refuse to leave you. I can't be without you Athena. I love you. I know I should be able to exist without you but I just don't want to. I barely got you back into my life you know but all that time I spent without you made me realize that I never want to do that again."

If I could ask you to marry me right now I would, he thought. When we're in New Orleans, he smiled.

"What if I was a worm?" She replied staring up at him in an accusing manner.

"What?" He felt flabbergasted. Out of words.

"Would you love me if I were a worm? Like a small slimy worm." She glared at him trying to conceal her laughter.

"Yes I would build you a house. In the grass or something."

"Will you be my boyfriend?" She blurted.

"Will you be my wife?"

"Maybe." She taunted.

"I love you, I always have and I always will. Always remember that Nate. You're a beautiful human being. And I'm glad you're starting to accept yourself, that you feel comfortable with yourself because you deserve that. You deserve more than you know. " Her tone became more serious and soft.

"Thank you for making me feel sane." He mumbled stroking her hair. He glanced at the view in-front of them. It was four in the morning and they were sitting on the bed of his truck that was filled with comforters and blankets.

"I love you Athena."

"I love you too, pretty."

She snuggled closer to him, resting her arms around his waist, pulling him close.

"I'm happy to be in your life." She mumbled another 'I love you', drifting to sleep.

"May I be your boyfriend again?" He asked, before she could fully fall asleep.

"You may." She giggled.

"Even if I were a worm?"

"Even if you were a worm."