Chapter 8: Longtae's Crush

Prompt: Longtae ends up realizing his crush on Tian and tried to keep a distance but Tian isn't having it so he doesn't leave Longtae alone until the latter explains why he is being avoided.
____________________________________

For some time, he thought he just admired the beloved teacher. But no, his feelings were a full-time crush. He realizes this when he couldn't stand looking in the direction where Tian and Phupha were despite teasing them together all the time. He couldn't look straight at them after everyone's attention is busy teasing the ranger and teacher. Especially the way they frustratingly tiptoed around each other but still had no label.

He really thought it was all admiration. He kept thinking about how he admired Tian's courageous acts, admires the passion and patience the teacher had for the children, admires how he never lets anyone silence him when something is unjust for him, admires his forgiving and understanding character despite being outcasted by everyone, admires his smiles and how bright his eyes can be, his laugh that can make anyone's day, his--

Before Longtae can think any further than that, he shook his head and walked inside their house. He cannot have a crush on Tian. They're best friends! And it would be awkward between them if Tian found out. He just has to avoid Tian for some time and this crush he has for him will go away. Easy. If only his dad would stop giving him looks as if he knows how he feels for the beloved teacher.

Longtae stayed in the house the entire day and although his mom was worried, she thought he was just exhausted. But Khama knew his son well, and he can't blame the poor boy if he has feelings for Tian. The problem was that Tian and Phupha are practically glued to each other's hips, will never see one without the other. Everyone knew of their feelings, they were practically obvious about as well. But only one person knew of Longtae's feelings and that was Khama. He knows his son and this boy will obviously distance himself from the teacher.

"You can't avoid him, Longtae. You need to face the fact that you like him." Khama said when his wife went out.

"W-what do you mean, dad?" Longtae asked.

"You know what I mean. You saw the results of the unsaid feelings that Khun Tian and Chief Phupha had. It was a disaster, but when they talked it out, told everything to each other, said what they felt, the tension and emotions that they had bottled up was gone and they finally had understood each other. You, my boy, should just tell Khun Tian." Khama advised as he pats Longtae's shoulder.

"But Dad, I can't do that. It would be so awkward between me and P'Tian. Also, Chief wouldn't really be too happy to see me with P'Tian. Remember the time he got so jealous of how I and P'Tian were always together and still had communication with one another? He wouldn't stop looking at me until I reassured him that all P'Tian ever really talks about was him!" Longtae said.

"Well, you choose. You lose your friendship with Khun Tian because you hid your feelings and distanced yourself from him or you tell him how you feel so that the emotions you have can be gone from your chest." Khama said.

"Dad, I'm only going to distance myself until my crush for him goes away. That's it. After that, we'll be back to normal." Longtae said.

"Avoiding him will not remove your feelings for him, my son. It will only grow bigger because you'd be missing his presence even more." Khama said.

Longtae sighed and just laid his head on the table. Khama chuckled and ruffled his son's hair before standing up and going outside. Longtae could hear the voices of the kids, the villagers' laughter, Yod's unique singing, and Tian's laugh. How he managed to hear the teacher's laugh was beyond him. He wanted to go out and have fun with them but he can't bear to see the loving looks Phupha and Tian will be displaying out there. So, he took his camera, went outside, and walked to the back of the house where no one can see him. He walked aimlessly without really thinking where he should go. He took pictures of the flowers that were about to bloom, the birds that were standing at the branches of the trees, the butterflies that fly right in front of him. He did nothing but that until he noticed he got to the waterfalls. He sighed and sat down on the rock beside the water. He looked at the water just flowing down and he doesn't know how long he was doing that. All he knows is that someone suddenly sat beside him. When he looked, it was Tian.