Chapter 15: Always The Second Place

Prompt: Everyone does not even try to know about Tian's birthday. Leaving him all alone except one person does remember and is there for him.
______________________

Peace should always exist in a person, even in their most deepest core. Peace should still be there and be ready to appear when finally needed. However, in Tian's case. Pain and endurance will only exist.

It was supposed to be a happy day since it was his birthday. He expected at least Phupha would remember since he told him and Phupha is the chief. But when he woke up that day, he was all alone. Not even Yod and Rang were waiting for him and it was only 2 hours before class starts.

Tian sighed. Tried to think positive and got off the bed. He fixed the bed before getting ready to go. As he was washing himself, his soap slipped off and fell on the ground. Tian bent down to pick it up and when he was about to stand up, he hears one of the rangers talking.

"Is everyone really busy for the birthday of someone who died?" Tian froze as he hears those words. Torfun.

"It's not just anyone. Her name was Torfun, she used to be a teacher here and is loved by everyone here. Unfortunately, she died in an accident. So, in order to honor her memory, they are preparing a birthday party for her."

'For... her. Only for her.' Tian thought.

"How'd she die?"

"Apparently the current teacher's friend had hit her on a car race at night. That's why she died."

"The current teacher's friend? Khun Tian's friend?"

"Yeah."

"If it was his friend's fault then why is Khun Tian here? Doesn't he feel ashamed for what happened?" Tian looks down as guilt creeps up on him again.

"Hoi! It's not even his fault. Why should he feel guilty for what his friend did? He wasn't the one who drove that night." The other ranger defended. Not knowing that Tian can hear them. Tian, deep inside, feels grateful for the ranger that defended him.

"Still, if I was him, I would just leave and never come back. It's shameful to even show his face here."

"Be quiet! You don't want the chief to hear that or he'll hurt us both. Come on. We're late already."

Once Tian hears the footsteps fading, he stands up as a few of his tears falls down. He finished washing up and quickly dressed up.

As he walks. He can't help but feel the heavy weight again of Torfun's passing. And the thought that everyone is preparing a party only for her, made Tian felt sick to himself for even feeling sad that they didn't prepare a party for him. He hates feeling like that.

So, just like any other time. Tian took a deep breath and pushed down that feeling.

'Maybe Phupha knows my birthday. Let's think positive, Tian!' He thought.

When Tian got to the school, none of the kids were there nor the rangers. Tian was confused because he knows that it's a weekday and the children have school. Tian looked around and that's when Longtae came running up to him.

"P'Tian" Longtae waved as he got closer to Tian.

"Longtae, have you seen the kids? They have school today, don't they?" Tian asked.

"Oh. It's P'Torfun's birthday so everyone is really busy. Even the kids. Chief should have told you to take a break today since it's her birthday." Longtae said.

"Oh. I didn't know. I actually have... something to do with my friend today but I told him that I'll meet him later." Tian excused.

"Oh... then, before you go. You should stay for a bit to pay respects to her. Dad would ask you too." Longtae said.