one

DISCLAIMER: THESE BEGINNING CHAPTERS WILL SOON BE REWRITTEN/EDITED BECAUSE I WROTE THEM A LONG TIME AGO!

Orenda (n.) - A mystical force present in all people that empowers them to effect the world, or to effect change in their own lives.

When I was younger I used to have this recurring dream. This dream where I was running through the woods at such a fast pace. A pace that I'm surely not capable of in reality. The highest of trees surrounded me while I barreled through the dead leafs, and the moist soil beneath my bare feet.

My heart thrashed in my chest, but my energy never went low. In a way, that dream was euphoric. I felt this sudden burst of happiness that kept me sprinting through those trees. But what really happened in this dream,

Was nothing.

I ran and I ran and I ran. I wasn't getting anywhere nor did I know where I was going, I just ran. The forest had no end. It was endless; It was eternal.

But i never realized that.

Over time, i've come to realize what that recurring dream meant to me.  I seem to be in this endless cycle―the cycle i describe as my life. The only difference is, I'm not trying to run.

Truth is, I'm too scared to.

"Annie!" My mother's screeching voice sounded from the hall while i pushed myself up from the pillow with a groan. The sun glistened brightly through my bedroom window as I sat up on my mattress, watching the tiny flurries of dust travel through the sun's rays. The wind whips around my room harshly, the beige curtains flowing with a swift motion.

A loud knock on my door pulls me from my blankness and my mother peers her head in.

"Are you all packed, Annie?"

I give her a tired nod, and force myself out of the bed―stepping over all the boxes that lie around my room. I gather a good amount and push them out the door and into the hall, dreading the scratchy noise from the smooth flooring.

Looking over my shoulder, i see my mother scanning the left boxes in my room as I throw a loose hoodie over my head before exiting.

"Brush your hair." She scowls from behind me. "You look like you've just awoken."

"I have just awoken." I murmured with a bit of an attitude, tucking the loose strands of hair behind my ears.

"You should be giddy and smiling like a baby, Annie." She scoffed, motioning for the maids to tape all of the boxes. "We will be in the absolute best parts of California, you may have whatever your heart desires."

Yeah, yeah.

Why am I not happy you may ask? Because my mother broaches regarding things like this to me all the time. But whenever it goes against any of her set rules, she will not get me 'whatever my heart desires.'