thirteen

Ukiyo (n

Ukiyo (n.) living in the moment, detached from the bothers of life. 

I stare down at the insane boy in utter shock. My lips are parted slightly as if I'm waiting for the words to slip smoothly from my mouth without question.

"What are you..." I started, my voice barely audible. "What are you doing here?"

A small smile forms on his lips, as if he's trying to hold it back. "You thought I forgot about your birthday?"

Shouldn't he be angry with me? Shouldn't he hate me for my actions at the dinner party?

That's what I wanted.

That's what we both needed.

I fight the smile growing across my face. No. It's been almost 2 weeks without him. I can't let this happen. 

But he remembered my birthday..

"I know you wanted me to stay away from you. I just had to come say happy birthday." He says, ceasing his eye contact with me.

Peering farther over the railing, I noticed that he has a black cast wrapped over his hand. "What happened?" I asked, motioning towards his injury. 

"I fell." He shrugged. "only one finger was broken, but the doctor insisted on me having a whole fucking cast." 

"Oh."  

"Are you celebrating?" he questioned. 

"No. Besides sleeping." 

"Why not?" 

"Because I have no one here to celebrate with." I quickly answered, letting my previous emotions consume my tone. 

"Your parents left." He voiced, and I nodded. 

He looked away from me and out to the yard, as if he was contemplating something. Turning back to face me, a small smirk started at the corners of his mouth. 

"Let's leave." 

I raise an eyebrow at his words. That's not a good idea. A terrible idea actually. My parents could come home any minute. I'm finally on their good side, do I want to jeopardize that? 

"No." I shook my head. 

"Are you scared?" He replied, apparently finding this amusing. 

I stayed silent. 

"Okay then." He rose his hands up in defeat, backing away from the balcony. "Goodbye, Annie."  

I know exactly what he's doing right now, using my current vulnerability.  For some odd reason, he's incredibly convincing, and I hate that about him. I hate it so much.  But ultimately...

It's working. 

"Fine." I mumbled clear enough so that he could hear. 

A smirk forms across his face as he strolls back up to the balcony. "I knew you'd say that."