two

We arrive at our large summer home, and the sun is setting for the night to awake. I glimpse up at the high ceiling, scanning the crisp interior of the house.

My mother gasps in awe, dragging her hands across the smooth wallpaper. The arm of the stairs is wrapped in an olive green garland that brings out the extravagance of the home.

"Finally, Atticus. You've done something right." Mother beams, giving him a quick peck on the cheek and father stiffens at the gesture he's distinctly not used to.

"Annie, go freshen yourself up and put on another outfit." She scolds, shoving my shoulder slightly towards the stairs. "We're having dinner with the Millers tonight."

"But this isn't a business dinner, is it?" I asked. "Why do I have to change? I think I look fine."

Mother exhales and looks me up and down, tugging at the corners of my dress. "You don't, and Ethan will be tagging along also. So you have to look more decent." She emphasized.

I open my mouth to reply, but my father gives me a piercing glare that strikes straight through my chest. I give my mother a small nod and she smiles at me in victory.

I stride up the stairs and meet a wide hallway. An incredibly shiny, black piano lies in the middle of the hall. I walk over gradually and run my fingers over the cool exterior.

Before my father became a business maniac, he used to play the piano with me every night. I would've been crying over losing my friends, and he would overhear my cries and drag me out of bed to teach me.

My mother felt that the piano was messing with my head, making me a vulnerable person. So she had the piano removed from our home.

I contemplate sitting down and playing, but my mother's faint footsteps sound from the stairs and I scurry to the room with my luggage in front of it and shove it inside.

I close the door gently, avoiding a loud click and I scan the room before me. The room is a fairly normal size and the walls are a mild grey, that could be mistaken for a white. The bed is large with a white bedding that has baby blue colored flowers all over it, and a lace that surrounds the outer parts of the blanket.

The room is also connected to a small balcony, and a bathroom.

I plop face first down onto the bed, my hair flying all over. I know my mother would scream if she saw me right at this moment.

"Okay, Annie." I breathe to myself. "Let's find a dress that she will approve of."

I open up my luggage, rummaging through the clothing that my mother packed and pull everything out, folding them and separating them by different styles. I packed comfy clothing for myself, but I am not allowed to wear them in public.

My parents say that it shows lack of class and respect to others.

Of course.

Still scanning through my luggage, I spot the peach-colored dress that my mother packed for me, but as I continue to yank all of the clothing our, I realize that the new black dress that my father bought isn't packed.

Oh no.

I hop down off the large bed, padding around the room, ensuring that the dress hadn't fell. I still don't see it.

A loud knock on the door pulls me from my thoughts, and my mother bursts in the room before giving me a chance to open it. "Oh my goodness." Mother intakes a sharp breath.

"Your hair looks dreadful, what were you doing?" She goes to run her fingers through my hair, and I take a swift step back before she can.

"I have a tiny problem." I murmured, squeezing my index and my thumb close together. "I left the bejeweled dress at home."