Alone Together {3}

***Alexis’s POV***

                I reached over, slapping around until I hit my phone, turning the alarm off. I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

                “Good morning,” Micah mumbled sleepily, curled up against me.

                I put my arm around him and smiled. “Morning Micah! You want some breakfast before I head to work?”

                He nodded and sat up, jumping out of my bed. I stood up and he grabbed my hand, rubbing at his eyes sleepily with his free hand.

                We walked down to the kitchen together and Micah crawled into a chair at the table. I made scrambled eggs for both of us and slid Micah his plate, sitting next to him.

                Ace entered the room, his hair messy and wearing nothing but basketball shorts. He slouched against the counters, watching us.

                “Didn’t even make me food, kid,” he said to Micah. “But you made Alexis food.”

                Micah giggled and shook his head. “Alexis made me food!”

                Ace went over and ruffled Micah’s hair. “I know, I’m just messing with you,” he said with a wink.

                Ace was the only other person that Micah felt comfortable around. Everyone else made him feel timid and nervous, but Ace’s playful nature made Micah warm right up to him. That worked out beautifully for me, since Ace usually worked later shifts, meaning he could watch Micah during my day shifts.

                “I’m offended that Alexis didn’t make me breakfast,” he said, dropping into a chair across from me.

                “Well, you’re not a five year old boy,” I said.      

                “Internally I am,” he said with a smirk. He nudged Micah. “Right, Micah? I’m fun, not like those boring adults we live with.”

                Micah giggled again. “Yea, Ace is fun!”

                “You’re damn right he is!” Ace leaned back, looking satisfied. His gaze shifted to me. “So are you really going to return that wallet? With the money in that thing, we could eat something other than pasta.”

                “I’ll work extra hours if that’s what you want, but we’re not keeping the wallet,” I said, standing up and dropping my empty plate into the sink.

                “You are such a damn softy,” Ace said with a sigh. “Who cares if the guy helped you? His wallet is ours now.”

                “I’m giving it back, Ace,” I said, my voice calm but final.

                He raised his hands in surrender. “Alright, alright, go ahead and hand it back to some guy who was stupid enough to lose it in the first place.”

                “Charity,” Micah said, looking up at Ace curiously. “He gave it to Ike!”

                “Which means it’s Ike’s now,” Ace said.

                “We’re giving it back,” I said, shooting Ace a look. It was convenient for him to babysit Micah, but he wasn’t exactly parent material. I took Micah’s empty plate from him and offered him a smile. “We’re giving it back because it’s a lot of money. It’s nicer to give it back than take it.”