Alone Together {22}

​I rubbed my eyes, feeling exhausted. Last night had been practically sleepless for me.

​I got out of bed, pulling on my clothes for work. I fixed my hair and left my bedroom.

​My eyes landed on Ace's closed door, and I wondered if he and Micah would be in there. But I resisted the urge to go over there in case they were still asleep. Instead, I went downstairs and into the kitchen.

​"Morning," Ace greeted. Micah was seated next to him, not looking up at me as I came in.

​"Good morning," I said. "Micah, how did you sleep?"

​Micah kept his head down, looking like he wished he could just disappear. I grabbed a bowl and got Micah some cereal, setting the bowl down in front of him.

​"Please eat," I said, lightly placing my hand on his head.

​"Take your own advice," Ike said, throwing a granola bar at me.

​I sat down and opened the granola bar as Christian and Jer came into the kitchen to grab breakfast. I couldn't stop watching Micah as he twirled his spoon around in the cereal, only taking a few mouthfuls of it.

​"Well look at this, family breakfast," Ace said.

​"Yea, how fucking adorable," Jer said, sitting on the counter with a piece of toast. "Hurry up so I'm not late to work, Ike."

​"I'm almost done eating. Christian and I are waiting on you," Ike said.

​"You're lucky I'm even bringing you to work," Jer said. "Alexis, do you need me to be a damn taxi, too?"

​"No," I said, shaking my head. "I'll bike to work."

​"Whatever you say. Let's go," Jer said, hopping off the counter. Ike and Christian followed him, leaving the house to get to work.

​"Micah, I have to go to work. I'll be back tonight, I promise," I said. "If you want me to come home earlier, I can."

​He stayed silent, his body curled to make himself as small as possible, something he no doubt learned how to do when he lived with his father. Be silent. Be small. Be as invisible as possible and maybe you won't be noticed.

​I mentally sighed. "Take care of him, Ace. Don't forget to feed him lunch."

​"Got it, chief," Ace said, saluting me.

​I turned and left the kitchen, going out to the hallway. Kneeling down, I began to tie my shoes on.

​"Alexis?"

​I stopped and looked over at Micah. He looked tired, afraid, and horribly sad.

​"What's up?" I asked, holding my arm out to him. But instead of coming over and nuzzling against my shoulder like he usually did, he just looked at me with his big eyes.

​"I wish you never met me. I'm sorry I was bad. I'm sorry I was a burden," he said, voice quiet. But I could tell just how strongly he believed what he was telling me.

​"Micah, none of that is true," I said firmly. "You're not bad. You're not a burden. I promise everything will go back to normal once I get back from work today, okay? Everything will go back to normal."​

​His eyes were watering, but he didn't cry. He just dropped his head, his body tightening in on itself to make him look small again.

​I moved over, placing my hand on his head. "It's going to be okay. I promise it will all be okay, Micah. I'll see you when I get home from work."