Alone Together {20}

​"Alexis, do you have to go back to work?" Micah asked with a frown.

​"Sadly," I said, ruffling his hair. "I'd rather stay home. But I can't. Being an adult sucks."

​"I don't want to be an adult," Micah said.

​"You have a while," I assured him. I'd do whatever I had to in order to make sure that Micah didn't have to stress over the money they that I did.

​"Can I wear my new hat today?" he asked.

​"Sure," I said, helping him get dressed. I grabbed the beanie and put it on his head for him, pulling it down so it wouldn't fall off. "There."

​"Thanks!" Micah said with a smile.

​He grabbed my hand and we went downstairs together to get breakfast. I sat him at the table, and Ace looked up at us.

​"Looking good, kid," he said, smirking and pointing at his own beanie.

​Micah smiled, a bit shy, a bit eager. Ace got up and came over, tugging the hat back so that Micah's hair spilled out in the front.

​"There, way cooler," Ace said, winking. "We're twins."

​"It's going to fall off his head," I said, putting down toast for both of us.

​"It's part of being cool. You have to learn how to keep a beanie on your head at haphazard positions," Ace said. "Start 'em young."

​"You're not even cool, Ace, shut up," Jer said, coming into the room with Ike.

​"You're just jealous," Ace said, sitting down and kicking his feet up onto the table.

​"Cut it out, scumbag," Ike said, shoving his feet off the table.

​Ace put his feet back up, a smirk on his face. He folded his hands behind his head, his eyes daring Ike to challenge him.

​"Ace, that's gross," I said. "Keep your feet off the table."

​Ace let out a dramatic sigh and dropped his feet off the table. "I'm treated like a child."

​"Because you act like one," Jer said.

​I grabbed the toast as it popped and buttered it. I slid Micah his toast and sat down next to him.

​"Are you back to work, Alexis?" Ike asked.

​"Yea," I said, biting into my toast.

​"Oh, you poor thing," Jer said sarcastically.

​"I'm not complaining," I said.

​"I'm curious. Were you always an asshole?" Ace asked.

​"I'm curious. Are you a sociopath because daddy didn't hold you enough?" Jer said.

​I sighed. "Shut up, both of you. It's too early for you to be fighting."

​"Sorry mom," Ace said, stealing my toast and taking a bite. He handed it back to me, grinning.

​I ignored him and finished my toast. I waited until Micah was done before taking his plate. I set the plates in the dishwater before handing Micah a juice box.

​"Is Jonas watching the kid?" Ace asked.

​"No. Jonas is working, too," I said. "Can you keep an eye on Micah?"

​"Sure," Ace said. "The kid and I can take selfies in our matching beanies."

​I checked the time and sighed, kneeling next to Micah. "I have to go to work. Ace is going to take care of you while I'm gone. Behave," I said, opening my arms.