Alone Together {15}

​​***Jonas's POV***

​"You kissed WHO?!"

​I winced. "Alexis," I said. "You know, red haired Alexis. The one who bags at your lane."

​"Wow," Riley said. "I didn't even know he liked guys. Hell, I don't even know anything about him. Other than the fact that he's been working constantly lately."

​"He needs the money," I said, sitting on my bed. Hanley crawled into my lap, meowing out demands for me to scratch behind his ears. I did so, earning purrs from him that rumbled against my stomach.

​"So are you two dating?" Riley asked.

​I shrugged, shifting the phone. Riley had called me to ask about hanging out tomorrow, and I had decided to tell about whatever was going on between me and Alexis. I just needed to talk out loud to someone about it. To know it was really happening and not just a dream.

​"It's complicated," I said, remembering that Riley couldn't see my shrug. "He's busy a lot. He said to give him time, basically."

​"This is the weirdest relationship you've ever gotten yourself into," Riley said with a sigh.

​"No. The weirdest was when I dated that guy in high school who compared our love to wolves," I corrected.

​"Love," Riley said, laughing. "Yea, sure, you were, like, 16. He was weird."

​"He was," I said, joining in his laughter. "But Alexis is...well, we're more mature than a high school relationship."

​"No offense, Jonas, but I think he's way more mature than you. He acts like an old man sometimes," Riley said. "The guy is antisocial, too."

​"He's not antisocial," I said. "He just...has priorities. He takes care of that little boy, Micah."

​"Look, I just don't want you jumping into a relationship that isn't going to last. You should be careful about this. He might be too busy for you," Riley said with apologetic honesty.

​"I know. He wouldn't get into a relationship with me if he didn't think it would last. He's not that kind of person," I said confidently.

​"Whatever you say. I've got to go, though. My cousin has a softball game." I could almost hear his eyes rolling. "I'll talk to you later, Jonas."

​"Bye," I said, hanging up the phone.

​I laid back on my bed, closing my eyes, picturing our kiss. The feel of Alexis's lips against mine, clumsy at first, as though he hadn't kissed in a while.

​The front door opened and I rolled over, checking the time. It was noon, which meant it was probably my dad coming home for lunch.

​I pushed myself off of the bed and went out to the kitchen. Sure enough, dad was moving around in there, making himself lunch.

​"Hey kid. You want some?" he offered, scooping left over mac and cheese into a bowl.

​"Just a little," I said, sitting at the counter.

​Dad scooped the mac and cheese and put it in the microwave to heat up. He turned to me and crossed his arms, frowning.

​"It's so bizarre," he said.

​"The mac and cheese?" I asked in confusion.

​He shook his head. "No, no. Derek Beirne was at the office today giving a speech. I had to bring him down to one of the conference rooms, and we were talking. I didn't recognize the name because he and I have been on a first name basis when he comes around, I've only heard his last name a few times. Anyways, I mentioned that I met his son, and he got this weird look. Then he said the weirdest thing. He said Alexis wasn't really his son anymore."