Alone Together {8}

***Jonas’s POV***

                “Jonas, stop into work with me. I need your help putting up some posters,” dad said, fixing his tie in the mirror. “What time do you work?”

                “I work a later shift today,” I said, sitting up. “I can come help you for a few hours.”

                “Great, thanks. Let’s go,” he said, gesturing at me.

                I stood up and followed him out of the house. We got in the car together and started driving towards his work.

                “So, how is work going?” dad asked.

                I shrugged. “It’s alright. Some days are slower than others.”

                “Jobs when you’re a kid aren’t fun. But it’ll look good on a resume, and it’s good experience,” he said.

                I nodded and turned the radio up so that he wouldn’t talk about work anymore. I couldn’t stop thinking about Alexis, and how different he was outside of work. I also wanted to know his relationship to Micah. The little boy looked nothing like him, so I doubted they were related in any way.

                Dad pulled into the parking lot of his work. We got out of the car and he led me to the building, swiping us in and leading me up to the second floor.

                “Your office isn’t on this floor,” I said in confusion.

                “No, it’s not. But the posters we need are up here,” he said, leading me into a large office. Despite the size of the office, only four people worked in here.

                “Good morning Rob! Good morning Jonas!” one of dad’s friends greeted.

                “Good morning Paul. Are the posters done?” dad asked.

                “Just about! Christian is in the back room finishing them up,” he said.

                “Come on Jonas,” dad said, leading me into the back of the office.

                A boy was standing at a machine, feeding the posters through it to stick them to boards. He didn’t look up as we entered.

                “Hi Christian!” dad said.

                “Hi Mr. Holden,” Christian said. Despite how slow the machine moved, he seemed to be feeding the posters through rather quickly.

                “Jonas, this is Christian Whiting,” dad introduced. “Christian assists everyone around the building. He does all the little odd jobs that make our lives a ton easier.”

                Christian grabbed another board, peeling off the paper on it and sticking the corner of a poster to the board. He began to feed it through the machine, and I watched as the paper was neatly pressed against the board.

                “Jonas, why don’t you help Christian while I start to hang these? Just do what he just did. Peel the paper off the boards, and stick the corners of the posters to them,” he said, gathering some posters in his arms. “I’ll be back up when I’m done hanging these. You two should be done by then.”