Alone Together {17}

​​​***Jonas's POV***

​I pulled into Alexis's driveway, hurrying out of the car. He'd asked me to take care of Micah for the day while he was at work, and my dumbass had overslept.

​I'd texted Alexis to let him know I was going to be late, but he'd assured me that it was fine. He'd said that the others would still be home for a little.

​Still, I felt bad. I hurried up to the front door and knocked, waiting anxiously. The door opened and Ike let me into the house.

​"Running late," he said. He was wearing a Dunkin' Donuts shirt, his nametag pinned on crookedly.

​"I overslept," I said, feeling horribly guilty.

​"He's still alive," Ike said, shrugging. "I think Ace has him."

​"Thanks," I said, going towards the kitchen. I could hear Ace's voice coming from there.

​I stepped in and, sure enough, Ace was sitting at the table with Jer. Jer was leaning against the counter, his hair wet from a shower, a shirt lying on the counter next to him. Micah was sitting quietly in a chair, making himself as small as possible. I almost didn't notice him.

​"He didn't even notice. What an idiot," Ace was saying.

​"I'm supposed to be polite about it, too. 'Sir, you're a fucking moron and a hammer can't fix a lightbulb'," Jer said.

​Ace laughed. "Man, I hate customers."

​"At least yours tip you. Mine just annoy the shit out of me and then bitch and moan about how shitty their DIY jobs turn out," Jer said.

​"Where do you work?" I asked Jer.

​"Lowe's," he said. "Feel free to come in and strangle me to death with a garden hose."

​My dad was always at Lowe's to pick up things. He loved doing work around the house and fixing things up. I'd have to ask him if he'd ever seen Jer there before.

​"Speaking of hell, I have to get there," Jer said, straightening up. He pulled his shirt on and crossed his arms. "Ike!" he yelled. "Hurry your ass up or you're fucking walking to work!"

​"Quit yelling, I'm ready," Ike said, coming into the room. "I've been waiting for you, dumbass."

​"Let's go." Jer shoved past me and led Ike out of the house.

​Ace stood up and stretched. "Well, I've got to go shower. Feel free to imagine that." Ace winked playfully before leaving the room.

​"Hi Micah," I said with a smile.

​He mumbled out something that I assumed was a hello. I sat down where Ace had been, across from Micah.

​Remembering what Alexis had said, I kept the friendly smile on my face. "Hey, do you want to get ice cream today? Maybe after lunch!"

​"No," he said, not looking up. He was chewing on his pinky, eyes fixed on the ground.

​"You don't want to go get ice cream?" I asked. He shook his head. "Well, okay. Maybe we can make a dessert!"

​"No," he said.

​"Okay. We don't have to do anything you don't want to," I said, trying to think of a way to cheer him up. "What do you want to do?"

​"Nothing," he said, his voice quiet.

​"We can go visit Alexis at the grocery store," I offered.

​He hugged his legs to his chest and shook his head viciously, surprising me. He always wanted to see Alexis.

​"You don't want to visit Alexis?" I said.