Alone Together {7}

***Alexis’s POV***

                I handed Micah his sandwich and a juice box. He took the juice box and timidly looked up at me with it.

                “Are we too old to be drinking juice boxes?” he asked.

                “Not at all. Jer is just jealous because he doesn’t get one,” I said, putting an arm around Micah.

                He frowned and snuggled against my side. “I can share one with him!”

                “You don’t have to do that,” I said.

                Micah looked over at the swings. Jonas and Riley were sitting on them, lazily rocking themselves back and forth as they talked.

                “Who is he, Lex?” Micah asked.

                “That’s Jonas, and that’s Riley. I work with them,” I said, shrugging.

                “He’s…nice,” Micah said, pointing at Jonas.

                “Yea? You like him?” I asked. Micah was usually terrified of people. Bringing him to a house full of asshole for the first time had been a nightmare.

                “He was nice,” Micah said, biting into his sandwich. “Not as nice as you. No one is as nice as you!”

                “There are a lot of people who are nicer than me,” I said, putting an arm around him and taking a bite of my own sandwich.

                Micah shook his head. “Nu-uh! You’re the nicest person in the world, Alexis!”

                I smiled. “Now that’s a lie, because YOU’RE the nicest person in the world.”

                Micah giggled. “No, you are!” He wrapped his arms around my waist, careful not to get the peanut butter from his sandwich on my clothes. “I love you, Alexis.”

                I hugged him back. “I love you too, Micah.”

                I looked past him, my eyes resting on the playset nearby. It looked so inviting as I sat here with Micah, ready for us to play on.

                Sobs choked me, making it hard to breathe. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I’m gay,” I sobbed, curling up on the playset. I had no other place to go. It wasn’t safe on the streets at night. I had no family to go to. No friends to go to. I was alone. So alone.

                “Lex, aren’t you gonna eat?” Micah asked curiously, snapping me out of my thoughts.

                I looked down at him, with his wide, innocent eyes. I remembered the terror hidden behind his tears when I had first met him. I never wanted to see him look like that again.

                “Yea, sorry, I was just thinking about how we can get ice cream after,” I said.

                Micah’s face lit up. “Really? We can?”

                “Of course we can,” I said, smiling. “You can get a twist cone, and I’ll get a milkshake, and we can share.”

                “Thank you Alexis! Thank you!” he said, hugging me again.

                We finished eating and got up, heading over to the playset. Jonas and Riley were still on the swings, but I tried to ignore them. I didn’t want to be so closed off when I was supposed to be having fun with Micah.