Alone Together {19}

​"Good morning," I said to Micah, rubbing my eyes.

​"Good morning," Micah said. He sat up and I copied him.

​The two of us got out of bed, and I dressed myself before helping Micah. I led him downstairs, where the others were eating and getting ready for their days.

​"Who's watching the kid today?" Ace asked me.

​"I am. I don't work today. I'm taking Micah to the mall. His clothes are too small on him," I said. I'd made Micah try on all his clothes last night, and made a pile of the ones he no longer fit in.

​"Boring," Ace said.

​"Necessary," I said.

​"Is your boyfriend going with you?" Ike asked, pouring himself a glass of water.

​"Jonas is coming with us," I said.

​Ace raised an eyebrow. "Thought the kid couldn't stand the guy?"

​"Thought you were capable of saying names," Ike said.

​"Thought you were capable of shutting the hell up," Ace said.

​"Micah is fine with Jonas. Right Micah?" I asked, and Micah nodded. I fixed him a bowl of cereal, making one for myself. We sat at the table and began to eat.

​"Looks like Ace is going to be home alone," Jer said. "You scared, Ace? Do we need to get you a babysitter too?"

​"Aw, shove it, asshole," Ace said, throwing a spoon at Jer's head.

​Jer ducked away from the spoon. "Aw, is Ace afraid to be alone? Did daddy leave him alone too much as a kid? Oh, no, wait, that was mommy."

​"Jer," I said, my voice warning.

​Ace smirked, eyes sharp. "Let him joke, Alexis. At least my daddy wasn't too busy shooting up to pay attention to me."

​"I wouldn't want the attention you got from your dad," Jer said.

​Ace's smirk grew. "Did your folks even know they had a kid?"

​"Treated me better than your folks treated you." Jer shrugged and grabbed a granola bar. "And I didn't turn out to be a mentally fucked psycho."

​He left the room, Christian following him. I hadn't even noticed Christian was in the room, and was surprised he hadn't said anything to Ace. Usually he and Ace bumped heads the most.

​"Don't," I warned as Ace moved to get up.

​"Jer doesn't bother me," Ace said, picking up the bagel he'd been eating.

​"He's always an asshole," I said. "Just ignore him."

​Micah tugged on my sleeve urgently. "You said one of the bad words!"

​"Uh-oh," I said.

​"It's okay!" Micah said, patting my arm. "Just don't say it again, Alexis! It's bad!"

​"I won't say it again," I said, placing my hand on his head and smiling at him.

​"I'm confused," Ace said. "So are you dating Jonas, or...?"

​"Not sure." I took a bite of my cereal, wondering if I should get Micah new shoes, too.

​"You're a pain in the ass, Alexis," Ace said. His gaze slid over to Micah. "Going on a date with Alexis and Jonas, huh? I'm surprised they're bringing you!"