Home of Sorts

Numbness.

That was all I felt as we were taken from the place we had lived for years in the helicopter. Thomas had somehow fallen asleep while Newt and everyone else had conversations, I don't know what about.

Then the helicopter landed and we were dragged out. In front of us, stood a large building with spot lights everywhere. Gun shots were heard and men screamed.

"Cranks!!"

I helped Newt a long as he struggled to run. He hadn't ran this much in years. Shouts and shots were the only things we could hear until we reached the building and the door shut.

"What the shuck is this place?" I asked, looking at everything around us. It was a massive warehouse.

People fussed over us as we were fed, with a massive meal. Once we were done, we sat down on the tables around us while we talked. Then the door slowly opened and a man stood there with his gun by his side. We all stood up as another man appeared.

"You kids doing all right?" He spoke, "Sorry about all the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm."

"Who are you?" Thomas asked.

"I'm the reason you're all still alive. It's my job to keep you that way. Now, come with me. We'll get you kids squared away." He walked off.

"Is it just me who thinks he looks like a rat?" I filled the silence and Fry snorted. "What? I'm serious. He is a ratman."

"Y/n- oh my god." Newt chuckled as we followed the man.

"Just saying." I shrugged.

"You can call me Mr Janson. I run this place." The man said as we walked behind him.

Ratman is better. I'll call you ratman.

"For us it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes."

"That mean you're taking us home?" Thomas asked.

"A home...of sorts. Sadly, there wouldn't b much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge, outside the scorch, where Wicked will never find you again. How does that sound?"

"Why are you helping us?" Minho raised an eyebrow.

"Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We're all hanging on by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the flare virus makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival." Janson explained, "Unfortunately, it also makes you a target, as no doubt by now you've noticed. Beyond this door lies the beginning of your new lives."

He swiped a card through a lock and the door rose up, showing a long white corridor.

"First things first, lest do something about that smell."

-

We were shown into a shower block. Everyone took a separate section and we quickly undressed. They had warm, really warm water. It was so refreshing, I could have stayed there forever. Some of the boys celebrated and cheered. It was mainly Minho, Fry and Winston.

When we stepped out there were some clothes set up. Different sizes for different people. It felt weird changing out of my glade clothes but I did it anyway. I made sure to keep the knife Chuck made me for me in my pocket.

Once again, some men collected us and showed us to what looked like a lab. Most of the doctors were female. Teresa was taken to a separate room, and this angered Thomas for some reason.