The Safe Haven

The Safe Haven. We made it. Thomas was sleeping and healing in a hut. My leg had been seen too and was feeling much better but the limp was still slightly there, though the doctor was sure it would leave.

We hadn't been here for long but all of us loved it and loved the sense of safety it gave us. It was beautiful. Wooden, strong huts and tents stood by the beach as the crashing waves rushed over the soft sand. Vince had assigned me to be a medic, suggesting that it would help me forget everything, just like in the glade.

But I couldn't stop thinking about it. About all those years we spent cooped up in a maze, fighting for survival, just to find out we were lab rats. I presumed my mother, Ava, was dead but I didn't feel any amount of sorrow for her, only for the people who she got killed, like Newt.

I walked slowly along the beach. The water rushing over my feet every few seconds. I noticed the med hut door open and I slipped on my shoes before jogging over.

Thomas sat back down on the bed. He knew I was stood there but didn't move. His eyes fixed on his fiddling fingers. He was probably remembering.

"Hey.." I sat beside him, "Did you just open the door because you felt like it or are you gonna leave?"

Thomas lifted his head but still didn't turn to me.

"It was dark." He sucked in a sharp breath, "He's gone." He was remembering.

"I know. I'm sorry, T." I stuttered slightly.

"It's not your fault. Where are we?" He quickly changed the subject and I was thankful.

"The safe haven."

He turned to me with one eyebrow raised, showing that he didn't believe me.

"I'm not lying." I chuckled, "Come on, the others will wanna see us."

"Why? Where have you been?"

"By the sea." I smiled sweetly.

"The sea?" He stood up so he could see over my head and through the door. Sure enough, the sea was there, "Oh my god. We're at the safe haven." A thin smile slipped onto his face but it quickly disappeared.

"That's right. Now, let's go." I took his hand and dragged him out.

Thomas dug his heels into the floor, stopping us both so he could look around for a second. His hand let go of mine as he used both of them to wipe his face in disbelief.

We continued walking until we saw all of our friends sat down talking. Each one of them froze as Thomas came into view behind me. Minho was the first to stand up and hug him, then Brenda and so on.

"Group hug?" I pouted.

Gally sighed before pulling me in. I pulled Brenda. She pulled Jorge. Jorge pulled Aris. Aris pulled Harriet. Harriet pulled Sonya. Sonya pulled Vince. Vince pulled Minho. Minho pulled Thomas.

Someone coughed loudly and I lifted my head out of my boyfriend chest. Fry stood there with his hands on his hips, staring at us all sternly.

"How could yall have a group hug without me?" He moaned and ran up eagerly.

Now we were all hugging. Brenda and I were squished in the middle, laughing our asses off.