The past is the past

Charlotte enjoyed this intimate moment with Tommy, but realized she couldn't be with him. What they found out today was only half of her past and the other half is the one that would be coming to find her and kill anyone standing in the way. She didn't know why she cared for Tommy or why she felt so safe with him, but she did. She also knew she would have to push those feelings down for his safety. Charlotte pulled her head off of him, but he still had his arm around her.
"Tommy."
He looked at her.
"I can't do this."
"I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable." He said as he took his arm off of her.
She shook her head and grabbed his hand.
"You didn't."
"So what is it?"
She stood up and turned around.
"What you heard today is only half of my past."
Tommy stood up and he started to walk her home.
"The past is the past for a reason, Charlotte."
She shook her head.
"Not if it comes back to get you."
"I'm not going to let anything get you." He said.
She stepped in front of him and grabbed both of his hands.
"And what if you get hurt because you're trying to protect me?"
He shook his head.
"I don't care, Charlotte. As long as you're safe."
"But that's just it, Tommy. I don't want you to get hurt because me."
She squeezed his hands and they made eye contact.
"Look it takes a lot for me to trust someone and for some reason I trust you and I feel safe with you...and I do really care about you, but because of that...this can't happen." She said as she let go of his hands.
He followed her to her porch as she still wore his coat.
"Charlotte."
She wouldn't look at him. He softly grabbed her face and they made eye contact.
"You feel those things for a reason and I feel them too. You want to know the truth?" He asked.
She gazed into his blue eyes as she started to slip.
"Since the moment you came into my life...I can't get your smart ass out of my head. I can barely do my work...and if I can't do my work and you trust me when you never thought you'd trust again...doesn't that say something?"
She held his wrists as they looked at each other.
"Let me care for you and protect you. Let me keep you safe, Charlotte."
She gave a small smile and then he leaned in and kissed her. It was soft and sweet. She got goosebumps as she kissed back because wow. Sadly, they were cut short by Alfie opening the door. They stopped kissing and Tommy stared at her for a second and then stepped back.
"Alfie." He nodded, but he never took his eyes off of Charlotte.
They kept eye contact until Tommy got to the porch stairs. She noticed a small smile as he walked down the steps. Charlotte stood there completely stunned. She felt something she has never felt before. Alfie was standing in front of her waving his hands.
"Charlie!" He said for the fifth time.
She snapped out of it and walked in the house.
"Care to explain?" He smirked.
She smiled and started to say something but couldn't. Alfie smiled and pointed.
"If he hurts you, I'll kill him."
"He won't." She said still in a happy daze.
He had never seen her like this, but he was so happy she finally felt like this.
"Can you walk upstairs or are your knees still weak?" He joked.
She smiled and started up the stairs.
"Goodnight, Alfie."
"Goodnight my love struck friend." He laughed.
Charlotte woke up the next day and decided to take Tommy's coat back to him. She came downstairs dressed.

          "Are you going to see your boyfriend?" Alfie questioned

"Shut up, Alfie."
He laughed as she walked out. Charlotte walked in the office with Tommy's coat in her hands, but he wasn't there. John was at the table and she walked over and put her hand on his shoulder.
"Thank you for stopping my brother yesterday."
He put his hand on hers.
"We all love you, CW. We will always have your back."
She smiled at him.
"Are you looking for Tommy?"
"Yeah, just returning his coat."
"He should be back soon. He was in a really good mood...would you know anything about that?"
"Nope." She said.
He laughed and rolled his eyes.
"We all know you're Tommy's girl...just accept it." He said.
She smiled and shook her head. Charlotte knocked on Polly's door and walked in. She opened up to Polly the most. She reminded her of her mother. Polly got up from her desk and sat in a chair beside her as they talked about yesterday. Polly comforted her and made her feel safe.
"What happened to you does not define you, okay? You are you, Charlotte. No one will look at you and see what happened to you and if they do...you send them to me and I'll cut them."
Charlotte gave a small laugh and then the two hugged.
"Do you have children? You would be such a great mother." Charlotte said not knowing.
Polly pulled away and had a tear. She explained what happened to her children and Charlotte grabbed her hands.
"I'm so sorry, Polly. I had no idea and this probably doesn't mean anything, but I just know you were the best mother to them."
Polly wiped her tears and smiled.
"It means the world, Charlotte. I just wish they were here. My Anna would be about your age, maybe a year or two younger."
Charlotte was younger than Tommy, but only by a few years. She was 23. Polly dried up her tears and shook her head. She looked at Tommy's coat.
"So that's why he was in such a good mood."
"He kissed me last night."
Polly smirked and Charlotte told her what happened.
"About time you two got over yourselves. I never thought anyone could be as stubborn as him until I met you." She joked.
Charlotte smiled and then Ada walked in.
"I know you two aren't having girl talk without me."
They were about to respond until Tommy walked into the building.
"Ada, do you ever do your work?" He asked.
"Fuck off, Tom." She yelled.
Polly nudged Charlotte.
"Go. I'll fill her in."
Charlotte smiled and stood up. She walked into Tommy's office and he looked up from his desk.
"Charlotte."
"Did you purposely leave your coat with me, so I'd have to bring it back?" She asked.
He stood up and closed his door and then faced her.
"Did you purposely wear it into your house, so it would be your excuse to see me today?"
She shrugged her shoulders.
"I guess we'll never know."
He shook his head and then kissed her. Tommy took his coat and put it on his chair.
"I blame you for why I was cold this morning."
She rolled her eyes and sat on his desk.
"You know I have chairs and a couch." He said as he walked over and stood in front of her.
"I want to sit here." She said.
He shook his head and then kissed her again.
"John said I was your girl."
He stroked her face.
"You are. If that's okay?"
"Yes, it's okay." She laughed.
He was about to kiss her again, but she pulled back.
"But can we take things slow? I know that's a lot to ask, but..."
Tommy ran his thumb over her cheek.
"Of course we can." He said and then kissed her cheek.
"That doesn't mean you can't kiss me."
He smirked and they started to kiss. Charlotte felt happy. For once her past was her past. They stopped and he looked at her.
"Did we finally have our moment?" He asked.
          "Nope." She laughed.
He rolled his eyes and sat down on the couch. She got up and sat down beside him.
"Can I ask you for something?"
"Wow..already asking me for things."
She hit his chest and then he grabbed her arm.
"Anything." He said.
"Polly just told me about her kids. I think we should find them. Anna was taken to Australia..I had a friend named Anna, but I didn't want to say anything because what are the odds."
"Where is she now?"
"She died a while ago. She got spring fever."
"Let's hope it's not her." He said and then got up.
He looked at her sitting on the couch.
"We can't find Polly's kids from the couch." He joked.