Trust

Charlotte waited hours for Tommy to show up, but he never did. She got ready for bed and looked at herself in the mirror.
"I knew it was too good to be true."
The next few days went by and she was avoiding the Shelby family. She was glad to be back, but she just couldn't see Tommy. Charlotte was also feeling the pregnancy in full effect. The morning sickness was happening all day and her breasts were super sore. She was just in casual clothes as she heard a knock on the door. Charlotte opened it to see Polly. She came in and sat on the couch as Charlotte offered her a drink.
"Where have you been the past few days?" Polly asked.
"Here. I've just had morning sickness all day. I don't really feel good."
"And Tommy hasn't checked on you?"
"No."
"I thought he was supposed to come by a few nights ago after he told Grace?" Polly asked.
"I waited up for hours and he never showed, Pol. I guess that was my mistake for forgiving him so easily...I don't know I just saw him and I saw the only person I've ever loved and the only person that's ever loved me and what he did just faded away."
Polly held Charlotte's hand.
          "Maybe he had second thoughts on me and this baby. Maybe he doesn't want the baby."
Polly was so saddened by Charlotte's thoughts.
"I'll find out what happened." Polly said as she stood up.
"And later I'll bring you over some foods that didn't make me sick when I was pregnant." She added.
"Thank you." Charlotte smiled and then Polly left.
Polly left and went to the office. She walked into Tommy's office to see Grace standing by his desk, talking to him. She turned and looked at Polly.
          "Get out." Polly warned.
Grace knew not to mess with Polly. After the family found out about Grace's betrayal a while ago, Polly was the one that had words with Grace. She walked out and Polly shut the door as she walked over to Tommy's desk.
          "You didn't go see Charlotte the other night. You left her up waiting for hours and you never came."
          "There's a reason."
          "Probably not a good one."
Tommy didn't look up from his desk.
          "Do you even want this baby?" She blurted out.
His head shot up.
          "Of course I do. Why would you say something like that?"
          "Maybe you not showing up or going to check on Charlotte made her feel that way."
          "She thinks I don't want the baby?"
          "What is the reason you didn't go?" She asked, ignoring his question.
          "I can't tell you."
She scoffed and turned away from him.
          "Why is Grace still here?" She asked.
Tommy didn't say anything.
          "Can't tell me that either?"
"Just trust me, Pol. There's a good reason with a life at stake. I'm handling it."
She turned to look at him.
"So it's Tommy Shelby against the whole fucking world?"
He just stared at her. It was killing him to keep this secret, but his life depended on it.
"I'm taking half a day. Charlotte isn't feeling well, so I'm going to take care of her so she doesn't have to do it herself." She spit.
Tommy stood up as he looked concerned.
"What's wrong with her? Is she sick?"
Polly shook her head and started to walk out.
"Is she okay?" Tommy yelled.
"Ask her yourself." Polly hissed as she left.
Tommy sighed as Grace walked in.
          "You have to let me see her, she's still pregnant with my child. I'm the father whether you like it or not. I have a right."
          "You can see her, but only for the baby. Don't make me remind you of what will happen if you say anything or if you're going to see her for anything more."
          "Yes, Grace...I know. I'll hang, but you know what I do...there's always a noose around my neck." He spit and then walked out.
Tommy knocked on Charlotte's door and Alfie answered.
          "Look it's the absentee father." Alfie said.
          "Is she okay?" Tommy asked, ignoring that hurtful jab.
          "From you not showing up or the morning sickness?"
Tommy was about to respond, but Charlotte started talking from another room.
"Alfie, who was at—" She stopped once she walked up and saw Tommy.
"Better late than never, right?" She said sarcastically.
Tommy walked in and Alfie shut the door.
"There's a good reason, Charlotte. I promise you."
"What is it?" She asked.
"I can't tell you."
She scoffed.
"You just have to trust me." He said as he got closer.
"Trust you?" She laughed.
"My mistake was trusting you a second time." She added.
Tommy couldn't stand to look at the hurt in her eyes. He hated that she felt this way towards him, but right now there's nothing he could do about it.
"Tommy, why are you here?" She asked.
"I came to see if you were alright."
"I'm great." She said sarcastically.
He looked at her and then looked down and cleared his throat.
"Alright then...I have a meeting to go to." He said.
"With the Russians?" Alfie asked.
"Yeah. You speak Russian. Can you go?"
"I can't. I have new workers coming today, but she can go." Alfie pointed at Charlotte.
Tommy turned and looked at her.
"She speaks Russian and Italian. She's also a good read...what did you study?"
"Psychology." Charlotte said.
"Yeah...psychology...she can read their minds and she knows how our business works from listening to me and Noah...so that'll give you two time to talk."
"I can't read their minds."
"And I'm not taking the woman pregnant with my child to a business meeting." Tommy said.
"You'll be two steps behind them if you don't. I wouldn't tell you to take her if I didn't think it was okay. Look I may hate you, mate...but I know she's safe with you."
Tommy looked at Charlotte as she looked at Alfie.
"Alright then...I'm leaving. Charlie, love...I'll see you later." Alfie said and then walked out.
Charlotte had her hand on the back of her neck.
"I guess I'll..uh..go get changed." She said and then walked out.
She came back out shortly.

Tommy looked her up and down as she put her coat on

"I don't want them knowing you're pregnant."
"Are you calling me fat?" She said knowing that's not what he meant.
"What? No...I...I just meant..." He squirmed.
"Don't worry. I'll keep my coat on." She said with a small laugh as she walked by him.
He took a deep breath and then they got in the car, but before they could leave...Grace saw them and walked over to Tommy.
          "She's really worth dying over?"
          "It's just business. She speaks Russian...that's it."
Grace looked at him and he opened his car door.
          "And yeah...she is worth it."
Grace rolled her eyes and walked away. Tommy and Charlotte were on their way.
          "So you're an educated woman?" He asked breaking the silence.
          "Mhm."
          "How is that going to help us today?" He said.
          "I can read body language, facial expressions, and behavior."
          "Why did you never tell me this?"
          "You never asked." She said.
Tommy sat back and realized he knew her, but not every little detail like he should. They arrived and Tommy went to open her door, but she opened it and hit him with it.
          "Oops." She said as she got out and looked at him.
They got in there and were introduced to Tatiana, her aunt and uncle, and father John Hughes. Charlotte instantly knew something was off with the priest. Tatiana also looked Tommy up and down like she wanted him as a snack. Tommy told them who Charlotte was and they all started talking about business as they served dinner. Charlotte had to throw up just because of the smell. The priest kept interrupting Tommy, but Tommy never wavered. Charlotte's face looked pale and she swallowed hard trying to hold back. Tommy noticed and finally finished up with what he had to say. The two walked out as everyone stared at Tommy. Right as they got outside, Charlotte threw up in the grass. Tommy held her hair and rubbed her back. The priest was watching from the window, but they didn't know. Charlotte stood up and put her hand to her hot forehead as they walked to their cars.
          "Are you alright?"
          "Don't trust the priest. He kept interrupting you to show dominance, but he doesn't have it. He's lying about something. You have to figure it out."
She let him open the door because she didn't feel good and didn't want to fight. Tommy walked around and got in.
          "Tatiana and her aunt want to fuck you. Tatiana wants it more...and her uncle the man of the family...he's not really. He clearly just does whatever his wife tells him to do. Your best bet is to do business with the women."
He looked at her.
          "Charlotte, are you okay?"
          "Yes, that's normal right now. Did you hear anything I just said?"
          "I'll do research on the priest." He said and then drove off.
Tommy walked Charlotte to her door and she opened it. Polly had cooked dinner and Alfie plus the rest of family was there.
          "Charlotte!" Michael smiled.
Tommy looked at his whole family and then he looked at Charlotte.
          "Charlotte, come here....I have to show you something." Finn said as he pulled her away.
Tommy and Polly made eye contact and then Alfie shut the door. Tommy went home to Grace and they just sat in silence.