The Birthday gift

Two weeks later.
It was Charlotte's birthday and everything was catching up to her. She was still in her cast and was so frustrated that she couldn't do anything. Tommy never came to put the crib together so her and Michael did it. She thought Tommy cheating on her was hurtful....him not being around now was worse. She didn't know the truth, so she thought he truly just didn't want the baby. Charlotte has been having really good days, but today she woke up and it was just one of those days. She was getting ready and had underwear on with a bra, but she couldn't hook it with one arm. She kept trying and trying and grew even more frustrated as she cussed in Italian. Michael was cooking her breakfast for her birthday and heard her yell, so he knocked on the door and came in. He turned around as he saw her half naked.
          "I can't...I can't even put a bra on myself." 
He turned around and hooked her bra for her.
          "Thank you." She said as she turned to him.
Michael helped her slip her dress on.
          "I meant to ask when you were teaching us, but how did you end up learning Italian?"
          "When I left with a modeling agency...I lived with my cousin in New York for a few months and she taught me. She can speak just about any language. You would really like her."
          "Well if she's anything like you, I would." He flirted.
Charlotte smiled and the two walked out to the kitchen to see Finn eating Charlotte's birthday breakfast.
          "Finn! That was her birthday breakfast." Michael yelled.
          "Hey...any food in this house is free game." He said as he ate.
Charlotte put her hand on Michael's shoulder.
           "It's okay. There's plenty of food left." She said.
They sat down and ate and then the boys gave Charlotte their presents. Finn gave Charlotte a bat with her name carved into it.
          "Thank you, Finn. This is great! I love it!"
          "I just thought you'd want your own since mine saved your life." He said proudly making her laugh.
  She kissed him on the cheek and he blushed. It was Michael's turn and she opened it and had wide eyes.
He had put her fashion show pictures, magazine headlines, and work sketches in a book.
          "Michael...this is...this is beautiful." She said as she looked through it.
He smiled.
          "All my work and designs...this must have taken you forever to put together."
          "So you like it?" He asked.
She looked up and had tears in her eyes.
          "I love it...this is one of the most thoughtful gifts anyone has ever given to me. Thank you so much." She said and then hugged him.
No one had ever put this much thought into a gift for her. This book meant so much to her because it really put all of her hard work together and it was almost like he was saying he was proud of her, which she has never been told before.
"Are you guys ready to go to the office?" Finn asked as he stood up.
Charlotte made a face and then Finn pulled her up out of her seat.
"Come on...it's your birthday and everyone wants to see you." Finn said as he put his arm around her.
"Everyone as in Grace and Linda because it's my birthday and I will hit them."
The two boys laughed.
"Please do because we can't." Finn laughed.
"I might." She said.
Finn laughed as he walked towards the door.
"I hope you do." He said and then walked out.
Michael laughed and then started towards the door, but Charlotte grabbed his hand. He turned and looked at her.
"Michael."
She was going to say something, but she wrapped her free arm around his neck as she hugged him. He held her tightly as he enjoyed the moment. They slowly pulled away and their faces were close as they made eye contact. They both leaned in to kiss, but Finn opened the door and accidentally hit Michael. They quickly let go of each other before Finn could notice.
"Come on you two. Tommy will be pissed if we're late." He said.
Charlotte walked out and looked at Finn.
"Who cares about Tommy's orders." She said as she passed him.
Finn ran up and playfully grabbed her hand like a child.
"Well he won't kill you for disobeying, but he will kill us." He joked.
Charlotte laughed and turned back to look at Michael following them. They all got to the office and thankfully Grace and Linda weren't there. Everyone ran up to Charlotte and hugged her and told her happy birthday. Tommy walked out of his office and looked at her. John ran up and hugged her from behind. He stood there with his arms around her.
"You know we're the same age now...." John smirked at her.
She just laughed and so did everyone else but Tommy. He made eye contact with her.
"Happy birthday." Tommy nodded.
"Thank you." She said with a half smile.
There was an awkward silence and then Tommy walked away. Everyone split off and Charlotte and the two girls were standing and talking as Tommy discreetly listened.
"Polly, your son." Charlotte smiled.
"What? What did he do?"
"He got me the most thoughtful gift. I mean I had tears when I saw it."
"What was it?" Ada asked.
"It's a book with all of my fashion show photos, sketches, and magazine headlines. I mean he must have worked on this for weeks. His gift meant the world to me...no one has ever taken that much time and put that much thought into something for me."
   Tommy heard that and walked out of the office, but no one knew why. Polly smiled and hugged her.
"Your son is a good man, Polly." Charlotte said.
"Oh God, now you're going to make me cry." Polly joked.
Charlotte smiled and then she raised her eyebrows at Ada.
"What did I do?" Ada asked.
"What is going on between you and Alfie?"
"Nothing...really."
Polly and Charlotte looked at her.
"Look at her blushing...it's not nothing." Polly said as she touched Ada's cheeks.
Ada slapped her hands away.
"He so likes you. I know him and I can tell he likes you." Charlotte said.
"Really?" Ada asked.
"Really. Now are you going to do something about it? Have you lost your fight?" Charlotte said quoting Ada.
Ada rolled her eyes and before she could respond, Alfie walked in and immediately ran over to Charlotte.
"Speak of the devil and he shall appear." Charlotte joked.
He made a face and then hugged her as he messed up her hair. He wouldn't let her go and kept messing with her as he laughed.
"Alfie, don't shake me..I will throw up." She said as she pushed him off of her.
The girls laughed and he let her go.
"You might throw up because boy do I have a birthday surprise for you." He said.
          "My sister's head on a stake?"
He laughed.
          "Sadly no, but let me go get it." He said and then ran out.
He came back in and stepped out of the way to reveal Chase. Charlotte's face lit up as she saw her brother. He walked over and hugged her. He was really her rock during those four months in Australia. They made up and he really took over that big brother roll. He held her out by her arms.
"You're glowing. You look so good. How are you feeling?" He asked.
"I feel great. Better now." She smiled.
Charlotte looked at Alfie and pointed.
"You did this?"
He nodded.
"Well...I had help by a beautiful lady. It was all her idea." He said.
Charlotte turned to look at Ada.
"I thought you'd want to see your brother." Ada said.
Charlotte smiled and then hugged her.
"Thank you so much." Charlotte whispered.
She let go and Alfie looked at Charlotte.
"Where's my love, Charlie?"
She laughed and hugged him. They all stood and talked and Chase had his arm around his sister as she leaned on him. Michael, Finn, John, and Arthur walked over. Michael looked at Charlotte with this man he's never seen. He knew she had a brother, but never knew what he looked like.
          "Michael, this is my brother, Chase. Chase, this is Michael."
The two shook hands. John walked up to Chase.
          "Charlotte told us what you did for her in Australia." John said.
He stuck out his hand and Chase shook it and everyone was as happy as can be now. Charlotte took Chase to her house so they could have time and she wanted to show him the nursery. He was walking around.
          "You're having a girl. I can just tell." He said.
          "I don't know...I really think it's a boy."
He shrugged his shoulders. He asked about Tommy and she explained...or tried to because she didn't even fully understand the situation. She showed him the book Michael made for her.
          "So Tommy did this for you?" He asked.
          "No, Michael made this."
          "Wow. This is a very special gift....not the type of gift you'd get from just a friend." He said as he raised his eyebrows.
She rolled her eyes.
          "So how long are you staying and how did you get away?"
          "Dad thinks I'm visiting Sienna, but I plan on staying for a few days...maybe a week if that's alright with you?"
          "Of course it is. Let me show you to your room."
He followed her upstairs and they passed Michael and Finn's room and finally got to the guest room.
          "What's wrong with those rooms?" He asked.
She explained that Michael and Finn live with her and why. The day went on and turned into night. Chase and Charlotte were on the couch as Alfie, Finn, and Michael came in.
"Chase, all the guys are going to the pub early to drink. Let's go!" Alfie said.
He looked at Charlotte.
"Go have fun." She smiled.
Alfie pointed at Charlotte.
"And you...you better not be late to your birthday celebration." He ordered.
She rolled her eyes as she stood up.
"Is it really a celebration if I can't even drink?"
"Finn can't drink either, so you two can talk about that." Alfie joked.
She shook her head.
"I'm going to get ready. I'll see you guys later."
"Need help getting dressed?" Alfie smirked.
Chase, Finn, and Michael all hit Alfie's arms.
"Aye...that's my sister!" Chase said.
Alfie rolled his eyes and the guys left.