ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟝

(Y/N)'s POV

I was busy helping Norman and Emma doing chores. I was just humming a little tune while taking note of my surroundings. "A transmitter... I never thought she would go that far." I heard Emma say. "Top-of-the-line stuff, huh... the key to our value is..." Norman trailed off. Now I was listening intently to their conversation. I knew that there was some sort of pattern they follow when shipping us off but I can't really grasp what it is. "Our age and scores." Emma continued. I gasped. "Wait, really?! I knew there was some sort of classification but I couldn't find out what." Emma and Norman nodded.

"Another six-year-old. Just the usual. Extrapolating from what the demons said, we can assume that our age most likely determines the meat's rank. If I recall correctly, all those who were shipped off were between six and twelve. And if six years old is 'the usual', then the top of the line must be-" "Twelve years old." Emma cut off. "Then what about our scores?" I asked. I thought hard for a moment. "Wait, it's the shipping order!" I said to them. "We weren't told our scores unless we got a perfect score. That's why we never noticed. Probably, when we turn six, we get harvested in ascending order of our scores. And once we turn twelve years old, we get shipped regardless of our score." Norman concluded. "So basically our shipment got postponed because of our perfect scores?" Emma asked. I was a bit relieved. If that is true, well then it's a good thing I'm smart, or else I would've been shipped out.

"I still don't get it though. Why rank us by score?" Norman asked. I'm also confused. I tried thinking of possibilities on why we're ranked by score. "And is there any meaning behind the 6-12 age window? The size of our body?" Emma asked. I then realized something. I clapped my hands and said, "The size of our brains! I read somewhere that the human brain is developed for 90% by the age of six. And that by twelve it's already completely developed! They want our brains!" I said. "Brains must be delicious for them. And well-developed ones are tastier. Eughh" I added. We all just laughed at my reaction. Well, at least we can still laugh at times like these. 

We finished the chores and we were now walking back to the house. "Hey, we need rope but where can we find it?" I asked. "I actually have an idea of where we might find some," Norman replied. We were about to go inside when Emma pulled us back by our uniforms. "Wait! There's already a transmitter on us, there might be more, like cameras or bugs." Emma reasoned. I opened my mouth in realization and nodded. "You don't have to worry about that. Later last night, I went to check the house out. There was nothing like that anywhere." Both Emma and I widened our eyes at Norman. He really didn't hesitate. "I mean, we need to find out how tight the security is first of all if we want to escape," Norman said.

"Who would've thought that we were the ones bugged and not the house. I was careless." Norman murmured. I just pat his back to ease his worries a little. As we walked inside, Emma said, "Mama might've already found out that we went to the wall." "I'm not so sure about that. Assuming that last night, she didn't realize that we were there, it would mean that she doesn't know where we are at all times. She only knows where we are after checking her watch. If the transmitter's signal could identify us, then Mama would know if she checked last night on the way back or during lunch break." Norman replied.

"I don't think Mama knows specifically who went the gate. I think all she would know is that there are only two children who know the secret, not including me since I already knew from the start." I said. "(Y/N)'s right. Otherwise, she wouldn't have made a roundabout show of warning us. She would've just threatened us directly. So-" Norman was cut off by Don asking for his help. He said something about a clock. I looked to Emma and saw her looking at the spot where Connie's drawing used to be. I sensed someone coming so I patted Emma's back to give her a heads up. Good thing cause it turned out to be Mama. 

"Hello (Y/N), Emma." she greeted. "Hello, Mama!" I replied. "What's wrong Emma? You're looking a little pale. Now that I think about it, this morning, you weren't in your usual good spirits." Oh, no. I hope Emma can act because I think Mama is trying to examine our reactions. "It's nothing," Emma said with a smile like she usually does. I breathed, not noticing I was holding it in the first place. Good job Emma. "I was just thinking that I'd soon leave the house, and... I'm gonna miss you." I tried something to lighten the tension. "Oh no, Emma. You're right! I don't wanna leave you!" I said hugging Emma.  "Do you like the house?" Mama asked us. "Of course! I love the house and I love you!" Emma said hugging Mama. I also nodded. "Yeah, Mama. When I leave, I'm gonna miss you!"

"I wonder what Connie is up to now. You know, she said she wanted to become a great mother, just like you once she grows up." I smiled sadly but fixed it immediately. I know what you're doing Emma. You're trying to see if Mama would feel guilty or falter at least a little bit. You won't see that. At least not with your eyes. I looked at Mama and saw the familiar blue and gray aura appear around her. "Yeah, I know. I'm looking forward to that. I'm sure she'll become a fine adult and a great mother as well." There it is. The flawless acting. The one I've seen in all my time here at Grace Field. I saw Emma falter. I was about to step in when Ray arrived.

"It's dinner time. I got everything ready, Mama." All the kids ran to the dining room. I also started to make my way there. "Did you two go to the gate yesterday?" I looked back and saw that Mama was asking the two. I hid. "No, we didn't. I mean those are the rules, right?" Norman replied. "Why are you asking?" "No reason. Don't worry about it." Mama said before walking away. I ran to Emma as she kneeled down from the tension earlier. "Are you okay?" I asked, helping Emma calm down. "I'm sorry... I'm so exhausted that I suddenly... it's like my heart only started beating right now." "Can you stand? By the way, you did a good job, Emma." I said helping Emma stand up.

"She's checking us out. She knows that her target is two people." Norman said. "Yeah, she only suspects two people because you two were the only ones who really went," I added. "But she doesn't know who they are yet," Emma said. "You're right Emma. That just proves our theory that you can't distinguish the person through the transmitter only. It only tells the location."

-----

"I took a brief look around the house last night. If there's rope anywhere, then it must be in the room." Norman said, picking the lock and opening the door.

-𝕞𝕒𝕪𝕚-